|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson)|
|Festival date||25 June – 6 July 1976|
The 26th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 25 June – 6 July 1976. The Golden Bear was awarded to the American film Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson directed by Robert Altman.
The Japanese film In the Realm of the Senses by Nagisa Oshima was confiscated during the Berlinale premiere of the film and banned after a court hearing. Charlie Chaplin's 1957 film A King in New York was also screened at the festival.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Jerzy Kawalerowicz director, screenwriter and politician (Poland) - Jury President
- Hannes Schmidt, production designer (West Germany)
- Marjorie Bilbow, writer (United Kingdom)
- Michel Ciment, writer, journalist and film critic (France)
- Guido Cinotti, historian and essayist (Italy)
- Georgiy Daneliya, director and screenwriter (Soviet Union)
- Wolf Hart, director of photography (West Germany)
- Bernard R. Kantor, publisher and academic (United Kingdom)
- Fernando Macotela, writer and film critic (Mexico)
- Márta Mészáros, director and screenwriter (Hungary)
- Shūji Terayama, director, poet and playwright (Japan)
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear award:
Out of competition
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson by Robert Altman
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Canoa: A Shameful Memory by Felipe Cazals
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Mario Monicelli for Caro Michele
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Jadwiga Barańska for Noce i dnie
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Gerhard Olschewski for Verlorenes Leben
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: László Lugossy for Azonosítás
- Silver Bear: Baghé sangui by Parviz Kimiavi
- FIPRESCI Award
- "26th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 26 August 2010. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1976". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "History of the International Forum of New Cinema". Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "JURIES 1976". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.