This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|244th Expeditionary Combat Aviation Brigade|
244th Aviation Brigade shoulder sleeve insignia
|Active||16 September 1988 – present|
|Role||Daily missions;search and rescue operations; assisting in wildfire suppression; providing support at the Army National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California;, and flying dignitaries around the country.|
|Part of||Army Reserve Aviation Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Dix, New Jersey|
|Motto(s)||"Wings of The Hawk"|
|Distinctive Unit Insignia|
The 244th Expeditionary Combat Aviation Brigade is a Combat Aviation Brigade in the United States Army Reserve. It is one of two aviation brigades in the Army Reserve Aviation Command. The brigade consists of a Headquarters and Headquarters company, two general support aviation battalions, one fixed wing battalion, and an aviation maintenance battalion, as follows:
- Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC), 244th Aviation Brigade, headquartered at Fort Dix, New Jersey
- 7th Battalion, 158th Aviation Regiment, headquartered at Fort Hood, Texas
- 5th Battalion, 159th Aviation Regiment, headquartered at Fort Eustis, Virginia
- 2nd Battalion, 228th Aviation Regiment, headquartered at McGuire AFB, New Jersey
- 90th Aviation Support Battalion (90th ASB), headquartered at Army Reserve Center at Fort Worth, Texas
The brigade's mission is to conduct expeditionary theater aviation operations. It consists of approximately 2,700 soldiers and 130 aircraft in 13 states.
The 244th Aviation Brigade was originally constituted on 16 September 1988 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters, 244th Aviation Group and was activated at Naval Air Station Glenview in Glenview, Illinois. On 31 March 1995 the group's location was changed to Fort Sheridan, Illinois and on 17 October 1995 the Group was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 244th Aviation Brigade.
The 244th Aviation Brigade became a component of the 11th Theater Aviation Command when the command activated on 16 September 2007. At that time, a number of units which were formerly under the brigade were transferred away and several units within the brigade were reconsolidated. Until the transfer, the 244th Aviation Brigade was the largest aviation brigade in the United States Army. On 16 September 2016, the 11th Theater Aviation Command was reorganized as the Army Reserve Aviation Command. On 1 October 2008, the 244th Aviation Brigade headquarters was moved from Fort Sheridan, Illinois to Fort Dix, New Jersey.
The brigade consists of a mix of Active Component and Reserve (Troop Program Unit and Active Guard Reserve) soldiers as well as Department of the Army civilian employees and contractors. Every unit of the brigade has deployed overseas to support contingency operations since 1988, including the Brigade Headquarters and Headquarters Company. These operations include Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Joint Forge, Noble Eagle, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Freedom's Sentinel . Units of the brigade also perform daily missions in cooperation with other United States forces and agencies such as search and rescue operations, assisting in wildfire suppression, providing support at the Army National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, and flying dignitaries around the country.
During their 2019 deployment the unit consisted of:
- 1st Battalion (Attack Reconnaissance), 1st Aviation Regiment
- 5th Battalion (General Support), 159th Aviation Regiment
- 8th Battalion (Assault Helicopter), 229th Aviation Regiment
- 638th Aviation Support Battalion
- Constituted 16 September 1988 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 244th Aviation Group, and activated at Glenview Naval Air Station, Illinois
- Location changed 31 March 1995 to Fort Sheridan, Illinois
- Reorganized and redesignated 7 October 1995 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 244th Aviation Brigade.
- Location changed 1 October 2008 to Fort Dix, New Jersey
Campaign Participation Credit
- Operation Inherent Resolve
- Global War on Terrorism
- Afghanistan Campaign
- Iraq Campaign
- Meritorious Unit Commendation
- "About Us: 244th Expeditionary Combat Aviation Brigade". USAR Official Website. Retrieved 21 October 2019.