Several other persons announced their interest in running for the office, including Axel Pétur Axelsson, a self described social engineer and noted conspiracy theorist, who was quoted as saying that his first matter of business as president would be to dismiss all members of the Icelandic government. Only the incumbent president Guðni Th. Jóhannesson and challenger Guðmundur Franklín Jónsson gathered the required number of signatures to get on the ballot.
|Guðni Th. Jóhannesson||Independent||150,913||92.18|
|Guðmundur Franklín Jónsson||Independent||12,797||7.82|
- Republic of Iceland: Election for President 2020 IFES
- "Absentee Voting for President Starts Monday". Iceland Review. 24 May 2020. Retrieved 2 October 2020.
- Republic of Iceland: Election for President 2016 IFES
- Ruv.is - Guðni gefur kost á sér til endurkjörs RÚV, 1 January 2020
- Vísir - Guðmundur Franklín Jónsson býður sig fram til forseta Vísir, 23 April 2020
- Axel Pétur í forsetaframboð: Fyrsta verk að reka alla ríkisstjórnina Fréttablaðið, 9 April 2020
- Tveir frambjóðendur hafa skilað meðmælum í öllum kjördæmum Visir.is, 20 May 2020