|Race 9 of 36 in the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series|
|Date||April 24, 2016|
|Location||Richmond International Raceway in Richmond, Virginia|
Permanent racing facility|
0.75 mi (1.2 km)
|Distance||400 laps, 300 mi (480 km)|
|Weather||Clear blue skies with a temperature of 67 °F (19 °C); wind out of the north at 6 mph (9.7 km/h)|
|Average speed||97.070 mph (156.219 km/h)|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Carl Edwards||Joe Gibbs Racing|
|No. 19||Carl Edwards||Joe Gibbs Racing|
|Television in the United States|
|Announcers||Mike Joy, Jeff Gordon and Darrell Waltrip|
4.7 million viewers
|Radio in the United States|
|Booth Announcers||Joe Moore, Jeff Striegle and Rusty Wallace|
|Turn Announcers||Mike Bagley (Backstretch)|
The 2016 Toyota Owners 400 was a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race held on April 24, 2016, at Richmond International Raceway in Richmond, Virginia. Contested over 400 laps on the 0.75 mile (1.2 km) asphalt short track, it was the ninth race of the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. Carl Edwards won the race, Kyle Busch finished second, and Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne and Kevin Harvick rounded out the top-five. The race had 23 lead changes among different drivers and eight cautions over 29 laps.
Richmond International Raceway (RIR) is a 3/4-mile (1.2 km), D-shaped, asphalt race track located just outside Richmond, Virginia in Henrico County. It hosts the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and Xfinity Series. Known as "America's premier short track", it formerly hosted a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race, an IndyCar Series race, and two USAC sprint car races.
The entry list for the Toyota Owners 400 was released on Monday, April 18 at 12:58 a.m. Eastern time. Forty-one cars are entered for the race.
|1||4||Kevin Harvick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||20.919||129.069|
|2||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||20.980||128.694|
|3||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||21.063||128.187|
|Official first practice results|
Kevin Harvick earned the pole for Sunday's race after rain washed out qualifying. He said afterwards that his team "had decided to come into the weekend and approach qualifying a little bit different, with just the way the race tracks have been and the timing of the practices. We decided to go and take advantage of being the first car on the race track, which is usually a big advantage here when the track is green and doesn't have a lot of rubber on it. It worked out today, and Rodney and everybody had a good plan, and it's going to be interesting just for the fact that, the second and third times out, the times weren't near what the first time was because the tires fall off -- which is great."
Joey Logano, who earned the second starting spot, said that he felt "like my team did a great job understanding the weather today before we hit the race track. We went out there and made our qualifying run off the truck and then focused in on race trim thinking that we weren’t going to qualifying anyway. The plan was executed perfectly besides second instead of first. Overall it is a good starting spot.”
|1||4||Kevin Harvick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet|
|2||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford|
|3||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|4||19||Carl Edwards||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota|
|5||11||Denny Hamlin||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota|
|6||2||Brad Keselowski||Team Penske||Ford|
|7||41||Kurt Busch||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet|
|8||5||Kasey Kahne||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|9||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota|
|10||47||A. J. Allmendinger||JTG Daugherty Racing||Chevrolet|
|11||3||Austin Dillon||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet|
|12||17||Ricky Stenhouse Jr.||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford|
|13||20||Matt Kenseth||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota|
|14||31||Ryan Newman||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet|
|15||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet|
|16||88||Dale Earnhardt, Jr.||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|17||6||Trevor Bayne||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford|
|18||14||Tony Stewart||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet|
|19||16||Greg Biffle||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford|
|20||44||Brian Scott (R)||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford|
|21||10||Danica Patrick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet|
|22||78||Martin Truex Jr.||Furniture Row Racing||Toyota|
|23||24||Chase Elliott (R)||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|24||43||Aric Almirola||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford|
|25||13||Casey Mears||Germain Racing||Chevrolet|
|26||27||Paul Menard||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet|
|27||1||Jamie McMurray||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet|
|28||38||Landon Cassill||Front Row Motorsports||Ford|
|29||21||Ryan Blaney (R)||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford|
|30||23||David Ragan||BK Racing||Toyota|
|31||30||Josh Wise||The Motorsports Group||Chevrolet|
|32||95||Michael McDowell||Circle Sport – Leavine Family Racing||Chevrolet|
|33||34||Chris Buescher (R)||Front Row Motorsports||Ford|
|34||7||Regan Smith||Tommy Baldwin Racing||Chevrolet|
|35||55||Reed Sorenson||Premium Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|36||83||Matt DiBenedetto||BK Racing||Toyota|
|37||93||Ryan Ellis (i)||BK Racing||Toyota|
|38||32||Jeffrey Earnhardt (R)||Go FAS Racing||Ford|
|39||15||Clint Bowyer[N 1]||HScott Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|40||46||Michael Annett||HScott Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|Did not qualify|
|41||98||Cole Whitt||Premium Motorsports||Chevrolet|
|Official starting lineup|
|1||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||22.342||120.849|
|2||5||Kasey Kahne||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||22.384||120.622|
|3||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||22.408||120.493|
|Official final practice results|
Under clear blue Virginia skies, Kevin Harvick led the field to the green flag at 1:16 p.m. After 15 laps, he pulled to seven-tenths of a second over Jimmie Johnson. By lap 20, however, Johnson reeled in Harvick and passed him on the outside going into turn 1 to take the lead on lap 21. After 10 laps, he pulled to a second and a quarter lead over Harvick. By lap 54, Carl Edwards pulled to within a quarter of a second of Johnson. After battling back and forth for nearly 10 laps, Edwards edged Johnson for the lead on lap 63. Johnson would pull back ahead to retake it the next lap. Edwards pulled ahead of Johnson the next lap to assume the lead. A number of teams began pitting on lap 85. Edwards pitted on lap 90 and handed the lead to Denny Hamlin. He pitted the next lap and handed the lead to Johnson. He pitted the next lap and handed the lead to Matt Kenseth. He pitted the next lap and the lead cycled back to Edwards.
After the first cycle of stops, Edwards led over Kyle Busch by two seconds. By lap 115, however, that lead had been cut by half a second. By lap 155. Busch pulled to within half a second of teammate Edwards. Debris on the backstretch brought out the first caution of the race on lap 157. Busch exited pit road with the race lead. Chris Buescher and Hamlin were tagged for an uncontrolled tire and restarted the race from the tail-end of the field.
The race restarted on lap 165. Edwards spun the tires on the restart and Busch pulled away. Edwards, however, reeled him back in and took back the lead on lap 169. Debris on the backstretch brought out the second caution of the race on lap 195.
The race restarted on lap 203. By lap 231, Harvick reeled in and passed Edwards for the lead. After 15 laps, he pulled away to a two and three-quarter second lead over Edwards. Debris in turn 2 brought out the third caution of the race on lap 251. It came from the shredded tire of the No. 23 car of David Ragan.
The race restarted on lap 258. The fourth caution of the race flew on lap 268 for a single-car incident in turn 2. After cutting down his left-rear, Tony Stewart suffered a blowout and slowed down on the track. Brad Keselowski opted not to pit and assumed the lead.
The race restarted on lap 275. After going back and forth for three laps, Kurt Busch passed Keselowski for the lead. Brother Kyle passed him for the lead on lap 287. Debris in turns 1 and 2 brought out the fifth caution of the race with 88 laps to go. Kurt Busch exited pit road with the race lead.
The race restarted with 82 laps to go. The sixth caution of the race flew one lap later for a single-car spin in turn 4. Exiting the turn, Ryan Newman suffered a left-rear tire blowout and spun out.
The race restarted with 66 to go. The eighth caution of the race flew with 42 laps to go for a single-car spin in turn 4 involving Brian Scott. Kyle Busch exited pit road with the race lead.
The race restarted with 36 laps to go. Rounding turn 4, Edwards bumped Busch out of the lead and scored the victory.
Edwards said in victory lane that Kyle Busch is "an amazing teammate and it’s like he got really slow there at the end. Something happened that last lap. It was like his rear tires went off or something. He went down into (turn) one and I dove it in and I got to him and I thought, ‘Man, I’ve got something.’ And he went to get down to the bottom and park it in three and four and I had already decided to go down there so I thought, ‘Man, I’m going to give him a little nudge,’ and we both have got wins and we’re racing for fun getting these trophies and just an awesome day.”
“It's racing, I guess,” Busch said. “We had a really great car. We were fast - maybe not as good as Carl on the long run. The guys gave me everything we needed today. We lost it there on the second-to-last run, but we had a shot to win and that's all that matters."
|1||4||19||Carl Edwards||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||400||45|
|2||9||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||400||40|
|3||3||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||400||39|
|4||8||5||Kasey Kahne||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||400||37|
|5||1||4||Kevin Harvick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||400||37|
|6||5||11||Denny Hamlin||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||400||36|
|7||13||20||Matt Kenseth||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||400||35|
|8||2||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||400||33|
|9||22||78||Martin Truex Jr.||Furniture Row Racing||Toyota||400||32|
|10||7||41||Kurt Busch||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||400||32|
|11||6||2||Brad Keselowski||Team Penske||Ford||400||31|
|12||23||24||Chase Elliott (R)||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||400||29|
|13||16||88||Dale Earnhardt, Jr.||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||400||28|
|14||19||16||Greg Biffle||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||400||27|
|15||15||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||400||26|
|16||27||1||Jamie McMurray||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||400||25|
|17||17||6||Trevor Bayne||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||400||24|
|18||14||31||Ryan Newman||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||400||23|
|19||18||14||Tony Stewart||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||400||22|
|20||11||3||Austin Dillon||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||400||21|
|21||24||43||Aric Almirola||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||400||20|
|22||26||27||Paul Menard||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||400||19|
|23||30||23||David Ragan||BK Racing||Toyota||400||18|
|24||21||10||Danica Patrick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||400||17|
|25||10||47||A. J. Allmendinger||JTG Daugherty Racing||Chevrolet||400||16|
|26||12||17||Ricky Stenhouse Jr.||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||400||15|
|27||28||38||Landon Cassill||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||399||14|
|28||29||21||Ryan Blaney (R)||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford||399||13|
|29||25||13||Casey Mears||Germain Racing||Chevrolet||399||12|
|30||36||83||Matt DiBenedetto||BK Racing||Toyota||399||11|
|31||32||95||Michael McDowell||Circle Sport – Leavine Family Racing||Chevrolet||399||10|
|32||34||7||Regan Smith||Tommy Baldwin Racing||Chevrolet||399||9|
|33||39||15||Clint Bowyer||HScott Motorsports||Chevrolet||398||8|
|34||33||34||Chris Buescher (R)||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||396||7|
|35||20||44||Brian Scott (R)||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||395||6|
|36||40||46||Michael Annett||HScott Motorsports||Chevrolet||394||5|
|37||37||93||Ryan Ellis (i)||BK Racing||Toyota||393||0|
|38||38||32||Jeffrey Earnhardt (R)||Go FAS Racing||Ford||392||3|
|39||31||30||Josh Wise||The Motorsports Group||Chevrolet||390||2|
|40||35||55||Reed Sorenson||Premium Motorsports||Chevrolet||390||1|
|https://web.archive.org/web/20160508115121/http://www.jayski.com/stats/2016/pdfs/09rir2016racereport.pdf Official race results]|
- Lead changes: 23 among different drivers
- Cautions/Laps: 8 for 29
- Red flags: 0
- Time of race: 3 hours, 5 minutes and 26 seconds
- Average speed: 97.07 miles per hour (156.22 km/h)
Fox Sports covered their 16th race at the Richmond International Raceway. Mike Joy, two-time Richmond winner Jeff Gordon and six-time Richmond winner Darrell Waltrip had the call in the booth for the race. Jamie Little, Vince Welch and Matt Yocum handled the pit road duties for the television side.
|Booth announcers||Pit reporters|
|Lap-by-lap: Mike Joy
Color-commentator: Jeff Gordon
Color commentator: Darrell Waltrip
MRN will have the radio call for the race which will also be simulcast on Sirius XM NASCAR Radio. Joe Moore, Jeff Striegle and six-time Richmond winner Rusty Wallace will call the race in the booth when the field is racing down the frontstretch. Mike Bagley will call the race from a platform inside the backstretch when the field is racing down the backstretch. Kim Coon, Alex Hayden and Steve Post will work pit road for the radio side.
|Booth announcers||Turn announcers||Pit reporters|
|Lead announcer: Joe Moore
Announcer: Jeff Striegle
Announcer: Rusty Wallace
|Backstretch: Mike Bagley||Kim Coon|
Standings after the race
- Clint Bowyer started from the rear of the field for a transmission change.
- "2016 Sprint Cup Series schedule" (PDF). Jayski.com. Jayski's Silly Season Site. January 26, 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 7, 2016. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Richmond International Raceway". NASCAR.com. NASCAR Media Group, LLC. January 3, 2013. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Entry List". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. April 18, 2016. Archived from the original on April 22, 2016. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "First Practice Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. April 22, 2016. Archived from the original on April 25, 2016. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- "Starting Lineup". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. April 22, 2016. Archived from the original on April 26, 2016. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- "Final Practice Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. April 23, 2016. Archived from the original on April 26, 2016. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- "Toyota Owners 400 Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. April 24, 2016. Archived from the original on April 29, 2016. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Points standings" (PDF). Jayski.com. Jayski's Silly Season Site. April 24, 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 8, 2016. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Manufacturers standings" (PDF). Jayski.com. Jayski's Silly Season Site. April 3, 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 8, 2016. Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- Paulsen (April 25, 2016). "NASCAR on FOX Overnights Low Again, This Time at Richmond". SportsMediaWatch.com. Sports Media Watch. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- Paulsen (April 29, 2016). "Richmond Continues Rough Stretch For NASCAR on FOX". SportsMediaWatch.com. Sports Media Watch. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- Spencer, Lee (April 22, 2016). "Harvick tops Cup practice, Stewart completes first laps of 2016". Motorsport.com. Richmond, Virginia: Motorsport Network, LLC. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- White, Tucker (April 22, 2016). "Harvick fastest in first practice". SpeedwayMedia.com. USA Today Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Kurz, Hank (April 22, 2016). "Harvick wins pole on rainy day at Richmond". Associated Press. Richmond, Virginia: AP Sports. Associated Press. Archived from the original on April 23, 2016. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Spencer, Reid (April 22, 2016). "Kevin Harvick on Richmond pole position after qualifying rained out". NASCAR.com. Richmond, Virginia: NASCAR Media Group, LLC. NASCAR Wire Service. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Albert, Barry (April 22, 2016). "Qualifying cancelled; Harvick on the pole for Sunday's race at Richmond". SpeedwayMedia.com. Richmond, Virginia: USA Today Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Utter, Jim (April 23, 2016). "Jimmie Johnson leads final Richmond practice". Motorsport.com. Richmond, Virginia: Motorsport Network, LLC. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Kurz, Hank (April 24, 2016). "Edwards passes Kyle Busch on last lap to win at Richmond". Associated Press. Richmond, Virginia: AP Sports. Associated Press. Archived from the original on April 25, 2016. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Pistone, Pete (April 24, 2016). "Edwards Bumps to Richmond Win". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. Archived from the original on April 27, 2016. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- James, Brant (April 24, 2016). "Kyle Busch on Carl Edwards pass: 'It's racing'". USA Today. Richmond, Virginia: Gannett Company. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
2016 Food City 500
|Sprint Cup Series
2016 GEICO 500