|2014 Major League Baseball draft|
|Date(s)||June 5–7, 2014|
|Location||Secaucus, New Jersey|
|1,215 total selections|
|First selection||Brady Aiken|
|First round selections||41|
The 2014 Major League Baseball (MLB) First-Year Player Draft was held from June 5 through June 7, 2014, to assign amateur baseball players to MLB teams. The first two rounds were conducted on June 5, followed by rounds three through ten on June 6, and the last 30 rounds on June 7. It was broadcast from Studio 42 of the MLB Network in Secaucus, New Jersey.
The draft order was the reverse order of the 2013 MLB regular season standings. As the Astros finished the 2013 season with the worst record, they had the first overall selection for the third consecutive year. In addition, the Toronto Blue Jays got the 11th pick, as compensation for failing to sign Phil Bickford, the 10th overall selection of the 2013 MLB Draft. The St. Louis Cardinals got bumped from #30 to #31 because although tied with the Boston Red Sox for most wins in the 2013 regular season, the Red Sox had fewer wins in 2012. Kansas City Royals first round draft pick Brandon Finnegan made his Major League debut on September 6, 2014, the first player to reach the majors from the 2014 draft class, with Carlos Rodon the second. Rodon first appeared for the Chicago White Sox on April 21, 2015. Finnegan became the first player to play in both the College World Series, for TCU, and the MLB World Series, for Kansas City, in the same year. Kyle Schwarber was the first position player to reach the majors from the 2014 draft class doing so June 16, 2015.
First round draft order
|*||Player did not sign|
Competitive Balance Round A
|35||Forrest Wall||Colorado Rockies||Second baseman||Orangewood Christian School (FL)|
|36||Blake Anderson||Miami Marlins[Compensation 9]||Catcher||West Lauderdale High School (MS)|
|37||Derek Fisher||Houston Astros[Trades 1]||Outfielder||Virginia|
|38||Mike Papi||Cleveland Indians||Outfielder||Virginia|
|39||Connor Joe||Pittsburgh Pirates[Trades 2]||Outfielder||San Diego|
|40||Chase Vallot||Kansas City Royals||Catcher||St. Thomas More School (LA)|
|41||Jacob Gatewood||Milwaukee Brewers||Shortstop||Clovis High School (CA)|
Other notable selections
- Compensation picks
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Phillip Bickford in the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft.
- Compensation pick for the Atlanta Braves signing Ervin Santana
- Compensation pick for the Texas Rangers signing Shin-Soo Choo.
- Compensation pick for the Baltimore Orioles signing Nelson Cruz.
- Compensation pick for the Baltimore Orioles signing Ubaldo Jiménez.
- Compensation pick for the New York Yankees signing Brian McCann.
- Compensation pick for the New York Yankees signing Jacoby Ellsbury.
- Compensation pick for the New York Yankees signing Carlos Beltrán.
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Matt Krook in the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft.
- Traded picks
- Mayo, Jonathan. "Date set for 2014 First-Year Player Draft | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- "Astros to get No. 1 pick in Draft for third straight year | astros.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- "Cardinals in position to make impact in 2014 Draft: Club not concerned about losing selection with particular free-agent signing". MLB.com. November 19, 2013.
- "Pirates notebook: Bryan Morris traded to Marlins for draft pick | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved May 7, 2018.