|Dates||August 8–11, 2013|
|Location||Pittsford, New York|
|Course(s)||Oak Hill Country Club,|
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Length||7,163 yards (6,550 m)|
|Field||156 players, 75 after cut|
The 2013 PGA Championship was the 95th PGA Championship, played August 8–11 at the East Course of Oak Hill Country Club in Pittsford, New York, a suburb southeast of Rochester. Jason Dufner won his first major title, two strokes ahead of runner-up Jim Furyk.
This was the third PGA Championship at the East Course at Oak Hill; Jack Nicklaus won in 1980 and Shaun Micheel in 2003. It also hosted three U.S. Opens, in 1956, 1968, and 1989, and the Ryder Cup in 1995.
Previous course lengths for major championships
- 7,134 yards (6,523 m) – par 70, 2003 PGA Championship
- 6,902 yards (6,311 m) – par 70, 1989 U.S. Open
- 6,964 yards (6,368 m) – par 70, 1980 PGA Championship
- 6,962 yards (6,366 m) – par 70, 1968 U.S. Open
- 6,902 yards (6,311 m) – par 70, 1956 U.S. Open
The following qualification criteria were used to select the field. Each player is listed according to the first category by which he qualified with additional categories in which he qualified shown in parentheses.
1. All former PGA Champions
Rich Beem, Keegan Bradley (6,8,9), Pádraig Harrington, Martin Kaymer (9), Davis Love III, Rory McIlroy (2,6,8,9,10), Shaun Micheel, Phil Mickelson (3,4,8,9,10), Vijay Singh, David Toms, Tiger Woods (6,8,9,10), Y. E. Yang
- John Daly did not play due to an elbow injury.
- Mark Brooks withdrew with an unspecified injury.
The following former champions did not compete: Paul Azinger, Jack Burke, Jr., Steve Elkington, Dow Finsterwald, Raymond Floyd, Doug Ford, Al Geiberger, Wayne Grady, David Graham, Hubert Green, Don January, John Mahaffey, Larry Nelson, Bobby Nichols, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Nick Price, Jeff Sluman, Dave Stockton, Hal Sutton, Lee Trevino, Bob Tway, Lanny Wadkins
6. 15 low scorers and ties in the 2012 PGA Championship
Tim Clark (8), Ben Curtis, Jamie Donaldson, Peter Hanson (9), David Lynn (8), Geoff Ogilvy, Carl Pettersson (8), Ian Poulter (8,9,10), Steve Stricker (8,9)
7. 20 low scorers in the 2013 PGA Professional National Championship
J. C. Anderson, Danny Balin, Mark Brown, Caine Fitzgerald, Bob Gaus, Kirk Hanefeld, Rob Labritz, Jeffrey Martin, Dave McNabb, David Muttitt, Rod Perry, Ryan Polzin, Lee Rhind, Mark Sheftic, Sonny Skinner, Mike Small, Stuart Smith, Jeff Sorenson, Bob Sowards, Chip Sullivan
8. Top 70 leaders in official money standings from the 2012 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational to the 2013 RBC Canadian Open
Bae Sang-moon (10), Charlie Beljan (10), Jonas Blixt (10), Roberto Castro, Kevin Chappell, Jason Day, Brendon de Jonge, Graham DeLaet, Luke Donald (9), Jason Dufner (9), Ken Duke (10), Harris English (10), Rickie Fowler, Jim Furyk (9), Sergio García (9,10), Robert Garrigus, Brian Gay (10), Bill Haas (10), Russell Henley (10), Charley Hoffman, Billy Horschel (10), Charles Howell III, John Huh, Dustin Johnson (9,10), Zach Johnson (9), Chris Kirk, Jason Kokrak, Matt Kuchar (9,10), Martin Laird (10), Marc Leishman, David Lingmerth, Hunter Mahan, John Merrick (10), Ryan Moore (10), Ryan Palmer, Scott Piercy, D. A. Points (10), Brandt Snedeker (9,10), Jordan Spieth (10), Kevin Stadler, Scott Stallings, Kyle Stanley, Henrik Stenson, Kevin Streelman (10), Chris Stroud, Josh Teater, Michael Thompson (10), Bo Van Pelt, Jimmy Walker, Nick Watney (10), Boo Weekley (10), Lee Westwood (9)
9. Members of the United States and European 2012 Ryder Cup teams (provided they are ranked in the top 100 in the Official World Golf Ranking on July 28)
Nicolas Colsaerts, Paul Lawrie, Francesco Molinari
11. Vacancies are filled by the first available player from the list of alternates (those below 70th place in official money standings).
- David Hearn – replaced Brendan Jones
- Matt Jones – took spot reserved for WGC-Bridgestone Invitational winner
- J. J. Henry – replaced Mark Brooks
12. The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above
Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Thomas Bjørn, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Paul Casey, K. J. Choi, George Coetzee, Gonzalo Fernández-Castaño, Marcus Fraser, Hiroyuki Fujita, Stephen Gallacher, Branden Grace, Luke Guthrie, Mikko Ilonen, Ryo Ishikawa, Fredrik Jacobson, Scott Jamieson, Miguel Ángel Jiménez, Brooks Koepka, Pablo Larrazábal, Shane Lowry, Joost Luiten, Matteo Manassero, Hideki Matsuyama, Paul McGinley, Alexander Norén, Thorbjørn Olesen, Richie Ramsay, Brett Rumford, John Senden, Marcel Siem, Richard Sterne, Thongchai Jaidee, Peter Uihlein, Jaco van Zyl, Marc Warren, Tom Watson, Bernd Wiesberger, Danny Willett, Chris Wood
- Brendan Jones withdrew prior to the tournament
Nationalities in the field
|North America (86)||South America (1)||Europe (43)||Oceania (9)||Asia (9)||Africa (8)|
|Canada (2)||Argentina (1)||England (8)||Australia (8)||Japan (4)||South Africa (7)|
|United States (84)||Northern Ireland (3)||Fiji (1)||South Korea (3)||Zimbabwe (1)|
|Scotland (6)||Thailand (2)|
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Place|
|David Toms||United States||2001||71||69||69||67||276||−4||7|
|Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland||2012||69||71||67||70||277||−3||T8|
|Keegan Bradley||United States||2011||69||72||72||66||279||−1||T19|
|Tiger Woods||United States||1999, 2000,
|Vijay Singh||Fiji||1998, 2004||70||72||73||75||290||+10||T68|
|Phil Mickelson||United States||2005||71||71||78||72||292||+12||T72|
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Davis Love III||United States||1997||74||70||144||+4|
|Rich Beem||United States||2002||71||74||145||+5|
|Y. E. Yang||South Korea||2009||72||73||145||+5|
|Shaun Micheel||United States||2003||76||77||153||+13|
Thursday, August 8, 2013
|T1||Jim Furyk||United States||65||−5|
|Robert Garrigus||United States|
|Matt Kuchar||United States|
|Scott Piercy||United States|
Friday, August 9, 2013
Jason Dufner posted a 7-under-par 63 to break the Oak Hill Country Club course record, which was held by Ben Hogan and Curtis Strange and tied in the same round by Webb Simpson. He held a two-stroke lead over Furyk, Scott, and Matt Kuchar. Woody Austin suffered a four-stroke penalty for carrying too many clubs in his bag for the first two holes and missed the cut by one stroke.
|1||Jason Dufner||United States||68-63=131||−9|
|T2||Jim Furyk||United States||65-68=133||−7|
|Matt Kuchar||United States||67-66=133|
|T7||Robert Garrigus||United States||67-68=135||−5|
|Steve Stricker||United States||68-67=135|
|Charley Hoffman||United States||69-67=136|
|Webb Simpson||United States||72-64=136|
Saturday, August 10, 2013
Furyk shot a 68 to take the lead going into the final round. Dufner was one shot behind, and Henrik Stenson was two shots behind. The low round of the day went to Dustin Johnson, who shot a 5-under-par 65 to move into a tie for ninth place.
|1||Jim Furyk||United States||65-68-68=201||−9|
|2||Jason Dufner||United States||68-63-71=202||−8|
|Steve Stricker||United States||68-67-70=205|
|T7||Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland||69-71-67=207||−3|
|T9||Roberto Castro||United States||68-69-71=208||−2|
|Dustin Johnson||United States||72-71-65=208|
|Kevin Streelman||United States||70-72-66=208|
Sunday, August 11, 2013
Jim Furyk went into the final round with a one-shot lead at nine-under-par over Jason Dufner, but was tied for the lead when Dufner birdied the fourth hole. At the fifth hole, Dufner would take the lead outright with a birdie to go 10-under-par, but Furyk regained a share of the lead with a birdie of his own on six. At No. 8 Dufner would take the lead with a birdie to move to 11-under-par, and from that point onwards he was the sole leader. Furyk bogeyed the ninth hole and from that point until the end of the championship the margin was affixed at two strokes. At No. 16, both golfers made birdie to go to 12-under and 10-under-par respectively, however at the subsequent two holes they made bogeys to finish out their respective rounds at 10-under and 8-under-par. Dufner shot a two-under-par round of 68 to Furyk's one-over-par, 71. Henrik Stenson, who started the day two shots out of the lead, pulled within one stroke after eagling the fourth hole, but never really threatened the leaders after that and finished the tournament in solo third place.
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Jason Dufner||United States||68-63-71-68=270||−10||1,445,000|
|2||Jim Furyk||United States||65-68-68-71=272||−8||865,000|
|T5||Scott Piercy||United States||67-71-72-65=275||−5||304,000|
|7||David Toms||United States||71-69-69-67=276||−4||259,000|
|Dustin Johnson||United States||72-71-65-69=277|
|Zach Johnson||United States||69-70-70-68=277|
|Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland||69-71-67-70=277|
Cumulative tournament scores, relative to par
|Eagle||Birdie||Bogey||Double bogey||Triple bogey+|
- "2013 PGA Championship: course tour". PGA of America. 2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "2013 PGA Championship: Course map and tour". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester, New York. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "2013 PGA Championship – Field List". PGA of America. July 29, 2013. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- "John Daly cuts season short to have elbow surgery, missing last 2 majors". FOX News. July 8, 2013. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Lamport-Stokes, Mark (August 7, 2013). "Golf-Brooks withdraws from Oak Hill with unspecified injury". Yahoo! News. Reuters. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- Betscher, Fatiha (July 2013). "Oosthuizen Neck Injury To Force Him Out Of Bridgestone Invitational & PGA Championship". Golf, by Tour Miss. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- "PGA Tour golfer Blake Adams sidelined after hip surgery". The Augusta Chronicle. January 29, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Murray, Ewan (August 8, 2013). "Furyk and Scott set the pace with Westwood one step behind". The Guardian. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- "Jim Furyk, Adam Scott tied for lead". ESPN. Associated Press. August 8, 2013. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "Dufner flirts with 62, settles for lead". ESPN. August 9, 2013. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- Harig, Bob (August 9, 2013). "Woody Austin given 4-stroke penalty". ESPN. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- "Jim Furyk up by 1 shot at PGA". ESPN. Associated Press. August 10, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "PGA: Jason Dufner holds off Furyk". ESPN. August 11, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Lawrenson, Derek (August 12, 2013). "Dufner wins first major of his career with a brilliant final round at Oak Hill". Daily Mail. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Murray, Ewan (August 12, 2013). "Jason Dufner gains US PGA redemption with two-shot victory". The Guardian. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "2013 PGA Championship leaderboard". Yahoo! Sports. August 11, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Official website
- Professional Golfers Association of America
- Coverage on the PGA Tour's official site
- Coverage on the European Tour's official site
- Oak Hill Country Club – 2013 PGA Championship
- Coverage from the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
2013 Open Championship
|Major Championships||Succeeded by|