|2013 Major League Baseball draft|
|Date(s)||June 6–8, 2013|
|Location||Secaucus, New Jersey|
|1,216 total selections|
|First selection||Mark Appel|
|First round selections||39|
Each team received one selection per round, going in reverse order of the 2012 MLB season final standings. In addition, teams could receive compensation draft picks if they had made a qualifying offer to a free agent player from their team, and the player rejected the offer and signed with another team.
The Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Brewers, and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim all surrendered their first round picks by signing players who had received and rejected qualifying offers from their previous teams: Rafael Soriano, B. J. Upton, Kyle Lohse, and Josh Hamilton, respectively. The Cleveland Indians, whose first round pick was protected as it fell in the top ten, lost their second round pick and a pick in the sandwich round between the second and third rounds for signing two players who received qualifying offers: Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn.
|*||Player did not sign|
Competitive Balance Round A
Other notable selections
- Compensation picks
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Mark Appel in the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft
- Compensation pick for the Milwaukee Brewers signing Kyle Lohse
- Compensation pick for the Atlanta Braves signing B. J. Upton
- Compensation pick for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim signing Josh Hamilton
- Compensation pick for the Cleveland Indians signing Michael Bourn
- Compensation pick for the Cleveland Indians signing Nick Swisher
- Compensation pick for the Washington Nationals signing Rafael Soriano
- Traded picks
- The Marlins acquired the 35th overall selection, and Gorkys Hernández from the Pirates in exchange for Gaby Sánchez, and Kyle Kaminska on July 31, 2012.
- The Tigers acquired the 39th overall pick, Aníbal Sánchez, and Omar Infante from the Marlins in exchange for Brian Flynn, Rob Brantly, and Jacob Turner on July 23, 2012.
The Philadelphia Phillies selected college juniors Ben Wetzler of Oregon State University in the fifth round and Jason Monda of Washington State University in the sixth round of the draft. Both entered into negotiations with the Phillies with the help of a financial adviser, which is against National Collegiate Athletic Association rules. Both also chose to return to college for their senior year. The Phillies reported Wetzler and Monda to the NCAA, which cleared Monda and suspended Wetzler for the first 11 games of the college season.
Kyle Crockett, the Cleveland Indians fourth round pick out of the University of Virginia, was promoted to the Indians on May 16, 2014. This made Crockett the first 2013 draftee to reach the major leagues.
Nate Orf, who went undrafted out of Baylor University in 2013, signed with the Milwaukee Brewers for $500 and worked his way up through their farm system, making his MLB debut with them on July 2, 2018. His first hit two days later turned out to be the game-winning home run and he was carried back out by his teammates for a curtain call.
- Mayo, Jonathan (November 20, 2012). "Draft class of 2013 starting to take shape". MLB.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Mayo, Jonathan (March 12, 2013). "All nine players turn down qualifying offers". MLB.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Nationals boost bullpen, sign Soriano to two-year deal MLB.com
- "B.J. Upton, Braves Finalize $75.25M, 5-Year Contract". Huffington Post. November 29, 2012.
- Stan McNeal. "Kyle Lohse, Brewers agree to three-year deal – MLB – Sporting News". Aol.sportingnews.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "Josh Hamilton enthusiastic to begin era with Angels | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "Michael Bourn gets four-year, $48 million contract from busy Indians | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. March 12, 2013. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Jong, Michael (July 31, 2012). "Miami Marlins Trade Gaby Sanchez to Pittsburgh Pirates, Acquire Gorkys Hernandez and Draft Pick". Fish Stripes.
- Frisaro, Joe (July 23, 2012). "Marlins deal Anibal, Infante for Tigers prospects". MLB.com.
- "Ben Wetzler, draft pick that Phillies reportedly told NCAA on, suspended". NJ.com. February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "The Phillies Files: Phillies reportedly turn in draft pick Wetzler to NCAA". Blogs.mcall.com. June 19, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Indians pitcher Kyle Crockett shares the story of getting called to the majors (video)". cleveland.com. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Marco Gonzales to get call-up to Cardinals; ex-Colorado prep pitcher to debut Wednesday". denverpost.com. June 23, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2018.
- "Undrafted Nate Orf carried out for curtain call by Brewers teammates after first MLB home run". CBSSports.com. Retrieved July 5, 2018.