|Date||24 August 2013–27 October 2013|
The 2013 Heartland Championship, the eighth edition of the Heartland Championship since the 2006 reconstruction, was a rugby union competition involving the twelve amateur rugby unions in New Zealand. The tournament involved a round-robin stage in which the twelve teams played eight games each and then the top four advanced to the Meads Cup semifinals, while fifth to eighth advanced to the Lochore Cup semifinals. In both of these knockout stages the top seeds (first and fifth) played at home against the lowest seeds (fourth and eighth), the second highest seeds (second and sixth) played at home against the third highest seeds (third and seventh) and the final had the higher seed play at home against the lower seed.
The 2013 Heartland Championship was contested by the following teams.
|Team||Super Rugby partner||Hometown||Home stadium||Capacity|
|East Coast||Hurricanes||Ruatoria||Whakarua Park||3,000|
|King Country||Chiefs||Taupo||Owen Delany Park||20,000|
|Mid Canterbury||Crusaders||Ashburton||Ashburton Showgrounds||5,000|
|North Otago||Highlanders||Oamaru||Whitestone Contracting Stadium||7,000|
|Poverty Bay||Hurricanes||Gisborne||More FM Rugby Park||18,000|
|South Canterbury||Crusaders||Timaru||Alpine Energy Stadium||12,000|
|Thames Valley||Chiefs||Paeroa||Paeroa Domain||3,000|
|Wairarapa Bush||Hurricanes||Masterton||Trust House Memorial Park||10,000|
|West Coast||Crusaders||Greymouth||Rugby Park||6,000|
Two Heartland Championship teams, Horowhenua-Kapiti and East Coast, challenged Waikato for the Ranfurly Shield in two matches that took place in at Whakarua Park, Ruatoria and Campbell Park, Morrinsville.
|18 July 2013||Waikato||85 – 0||Horowhenua-Kapiti||Campbell Park, Morrinsville|
|30 July 2013||East Coast||10 – 65||Waikato||Whakarua Park, Ruatoria|
|Meads Cup and Heartland Championship|
|Lochore Cup qualification|
In the case of a two-team tie on points the ranking of teams is decided by:
- (1) the winner of the round robin match between the two provinces; then
- (2) highest point difference; then
- (3) most tries scored; then
- (4) a coin toss.
In the case of a three-team or more tie on points the ranking of teams is decided by:
- (1) the province with the most wins against other tied provinces in the Round Robin; then
- (2) if two teams remain tied they shall be ranked according to the criteria listed above, but if more than two teams remain tied, they shall be ranked according to criteria (2) to (4) only.
- "Pink Batts Heartland Championship 2013 draw released". Heartland Championship. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "2013 Pink Batts Heartland Championship Media Guide". AllBlacks.com. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 8 October 2014.