- 1 Draw
- 2 Seeding
- 3 Format
- 4 First stage
- 5 Second stage
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Excluding the defending champion (entering in the round of 16), the other 46 teams were divided into four zones:
- South Zone: Teams from Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay (entering in the first stage)
- North Zone: Teams from Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela (entering in the first stage)
- Argentina Zone: Teams from Argentina (entering in the second stage)
- Brazil Zone: Teams from Brazil (entering in the second stage)
The draw mechanism was as follows:
- South Zone and North Zone:
- For the first stage, the 16 teams from the South Zone were drawn into eight ties, and the 16 teams from the North Zone were drawn into the other eight ties. Teams which qualified for berths 1 were drawn against teams which qualified for berths 4, and teams which qualified for berths 2 were drawn against teams which qualified for berths 3, with the former hosting the second leg in both cases. Teams from the same association could not be drawn into the same tie.
- For the second stage, the 16 winners of the first stage were drawn into eight ties. The eight winners from the South Zone were drawn against the eight winners from the North Zone, with the former hosting the second leg in four ties, and the latter hosting the second leg in the other four ties.
- Argentina Zone: The six teams were drawn into three ties. Teams which qualified for berths 1–3 were drawn against teams which qualified for berths 4–6, with the former hosting the second leg.
- Brazil Zone: The eight teams were split into four ties. No draw was held, where the matchups were based on the berths which the teams qualified for: 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5, with the former hosting the second leg.
The following was the seeding of the 46 teams entered into the first stage and second stage draw:
|Teams entering in the first stage||Teams entering in the second stage|
|South Zone (16 teams)||North Zone (16 teams)||Argentina Zone (6 teams)||Brazil Zone (8 teams)|
In the elimination phase, each tie was played on a home-and-away two-legged basis. If tied on aggregate, the away goals rule was used. If still tied, the penalty shoot-out was used to determine the winner (no extra time is played). The 15 winners of the second stage (three from Argentina Zone, four from Brazil Zone, eight from ties between South Zone and North Zone) advanced to the round of 16 to join the defending champion (São Paulo).
The first legs were played on July 30–August 1, and the second legs were played on August 6–8, 2013.
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Real Potosí||3–6||Universidad de Chile||3–1||0–5|
|El Tanque Sisley||0–3||Colo-Colo||0–1||0–2|
|Universidad Católica||2–1||Cerro Porteño||1–1||1–0|
|Nacional||1–1 (a)||The Strongest||0–0||1–1|
|Inti Gas||0–5||Atlético Nacional||0–1||0–4|
|Independiente del Valle||2–0||Deportivo Anzoátegui||0–0||2–0|
|LDU Loja||3–1||Deportivo Lara||2–0||1–1|
|F. Rodríguez 8'||Report||Montenegro 50'
M. Díaz 71' (o.g.)
Libertad won 2–1 on aggregate.
Cobreloa won 2–0 on aggregate.
|Real Potosí||3–1||Universidad de Chile|
|Report||R. Rojas 10'|
|Universidad de Chile||5–0||Real Potosí|
|I. Díaz 32', 89' (pen.)
Aránguiz 42' (pen.), 59'
Universidad de Chile won 6–3 on aggregate.
|De Muner 54'||Report||Santander 35', 40'
D. A. González 76'
J. Benítez 90+4'
Guaraní won 4–1 on aggregate.
|El Tanque Sisley||0–1||Colo-Colo|
|Colo-Colo||2–0||El Tanque Sisley|
|F. Benítez 13'
Colo Colo won 3–0 on aggregate.
|Taborda 39', 62'
River Plate won 5–0 on aggregate.
|Universidad Católica||1–1||Cerro Porteño|
|Alvárez 71'||Report||Corujo 32'|
|Cerro Porteño||0–1||Universidad Católica|
Universidad Católica won 2–1 on aggregate.
|Reynoso 50'||Report||Torales 10'|
Tied 1–1 on aggregate, Nacional won on away goals.
|Inti Gas||0–1||Atlético Nacional|
|Atlético Nacional||4–0||Inti Gas|
|Valoy 19', 63'
Atlético Nacional won 5–0 on aggregate.
Jiménez 64' (pen.)
|Report||M. Arroyo 43' (pen.)
L. Caicedo 80'
|Report||R. Blanco 21', 32'|
Mineros won 4–2 on aggregate.
|Independiente del Valle||0–0||Deportivo Anzoátegui|
|Deportivo Anzoátegui||0–2||Independiente del Valle|
|Report||Guerrero 20' (pen.), 66'|
Independiente del Valle won 2–0 on aggregate.
Aguirre 39' (pen.), 45+3'
Itagüí won 6–2 on aggregate.
|Farfán 48'||Report||Giménez 59'
M. Caicedo 84'
|E. Valencia 43', 51', 71'
Emelec won 7–1 on aggregate.
|Palacios 9', 26'
|Zúñiga 34', 44'||Report|
Deportivo Pasto won 3–2 on aggregate.
La Equidad won 1–0 on aggregate.
|LDU Loja||2–0||Deportivo Lara|
|Fábio Renato 30'
D. Arroyo 62'
|Deportivo Lara||1–1||LDU Loja|
|Torrealba 22'||Report||Barboza 90'|
LDU Loja won 3–1 on aggregate.
The first legs were played on August 13–14 and 20–22, and the second legs were played on August 27–29 and September 5, 2013.
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|San Lorenzo||0–1||River Plate||0–1||0–0|
|Sport Recife||2–2 (3–1 p)||Náutico||2–0||0–2|
|Universidad de Chile||4–2||Independiente del Valle||1–1||3–1|
|La Equidad||1–1 (a)||Cobreloa||0–0||1–1|
|Vitória||1–1 (3–4 p)||Coritiba||1–0||0–1|
|E. Valencia 65', 72'||Report||Castillo 42'
Universidad Católica won 7–2 on aggregate.
|San Lorenzo||0−1||River Plate|
|River Plate||0−0||San Lorenzo|
River Plate won 1–0 on aggregate.
|Report||Lalinde 17', 34'|
Deportivo Pasto won 3–0 on aggregate.
|Felipe Azevedo 5'
|1–3|| Felipe Azevedo
Tied 2–2 on aggregate, Sport Recife won on penalties.
Itagüí won 1–0 on aggregate.
|Sabia 17' (o.g.)||Report|
Pratto 72' (pen.)
Vélez Sarsfield won 2–1 on aggregate.
|Universidad de Chile||1–1||Independiente del Valle|
|I. Díaz 43'||Report||H. León 62'|
|Independiente del Valle||1–3||Universidad de Chile|
|A. Solís 30'||Report||I. Díaz 27'
Universidad de Chile won 4–2 on aggregate.
|Carlos Alberto 61'||Report||Wallyson 41'
Bahia won 2–1 on aggregate.
J. Valencia 83'
Atlético Nacional won 2–0 on aggregate.
|Viola 64'||Report||Melano 39'
|Izquierdoz 34', 71'||Report|
Lanús won 4–1 on aggregate.
|Chávez 31' (pen.)||Report||Moreno 27'|
Tied 1–1 on aggregate, La Equidad won on away goals.
|Júlio César 48'||Report|
Tied 1–1 on aggregate, Coritiba won on penalties.
|R. Blanco 45'||Report||Montenegro 9'
Libertad won 4–1 on aggregate.
|João Vitor 89'||Report||César 6'
Ponte Preta won 2–1 on aggregate.
LDU Loja won 1–0 on aggregate.
- "Copa Total Sudamericana 2013: reglamento del torneo" (PDF) (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-09-28.
- "Magnífico sorteo de la Copa Sudamericana, 47 equipos lucharán por la otra mitad de la gloria" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. July 3, 2013.
- "Listo el calendario de partidos para la Primera Fase de la Copa Sudamericana" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. July 8, 2013.
- "Condolencias del Sr. Eugenio Figueredo por la pérdida de Cristian Benítez" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. July 29, 2013.
- "Esta fue la asistencia de público de la 1ra fase de la #CopaSudamericana 2013" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. August 9, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "La CONMEBOL expresa sus condolencias ante la desaparición del mítico Gilmar" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. August 26, 2013.
- "Esta fue la asistencia de público en la 2da fase de la #CopaSudamericana 2013" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. September 6, 2013.[permanent dead link]