The 2012 Vale of Glamorgan Council election took place on Thursday 3 May 2012 to elect members of Vale of Glamorgan Council in Wales. This was the same day as other United Kingdom local elections. The previous full council election took place on 1 May 2008 and the next one took place on 4 May 2017.
The Conservatives lost control of the council after losing 14 seats. The Labour Party became the largest grouping, but failed to win enough seats for an overall majority. This meant they could either run a minority administration or form a coalition with one of the smaller political groups. Conservative leader of the council, Gordon Kemp, lost his Rhoose seat to an Independent candidate after a recount. He blamed his party's poor performance on the UK Conservative coalition government.
|Party||Seats||Gains||Losses||Net gain/loss||Seats %||Votes %||Votes||+/−|
|Llantwit First Independent||4||1||0||+1||8.5||5.2||2,068||+0.8|
|Ward||Political group||Councillor ||Change from last election|
|Baruc (Barry)||Plaid Cymru||Steffan Wiliam||Plaid Cymru hold|
|Plaid Cymru||Nicholas Hodges||Plaid Cymru hold|
|Buttrills (Barry)||Labour||Margaret Alexander||Labour hold|
|Labour||Stuart Egan||Labour hold|
|Cadoc (Barry)||Labour||Anne Moore||Labour hold|
|Labour||Fred Johnson||Labour hold|
|Labour||Neil Moore||Labour hold|
|Castleland (Barry)||Labour||Chris Elmore||Labour hold|
|Labour||Pamela Drake||Labour hold|
|Cornerswell (Penarth)||Labour||Rhiannon Birch||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Labour||Peter King||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Court (Barry)||Labour||Bronwen Brooks||Labour hold|
|Independent||Richard Bertin||Independent gain from Labour|
|Cowbridge||Conservative||Geoffrey Cox||Conservative hold|
|Conservative||Thomas Jarvie||Conservative hold|
|Conservative||Andrew Parker||Conservative hold|
|Dinas Powys||Plaid Cymru||Christopher Franks||Plaid Cymru hold|
|Plaid Cymru||Valerie Hartrey||Plaid Cymru hold|
|Plaid Cymru||Keith Hatton||Plaid Cymru hold|
|Plaid Cymru||Christopher Williams||Plaid Cymru hold|
|Dyfan (Barry)||Labour||Claire Curtis||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Labour||Anthony Powell||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Gibbonsdown (Barry)||Labour||Rob Curtis||Labour hold|
|Labour||Margaret Wilkinson||Labour hold|
|Illtyd (Barry)||Labour||Howard Hamilton||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Labour||John Drysdale||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Labour||Rhona Probert||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Llandough||Labour||Kate Edmunds||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Llandow and Ewenny||Conservative||Ray Thomas||Conservative hold|
|Llantwit Major||Llantwit First Independent||Gwyn John||Llantwit First Independent hold|
|Llantwit First Independent||Eric Hacker||Llantwit First Independent hold|
|Llantwit First Independent||Edward Williams||Llantwit First Independent hold|
|Llantwit First Independent||Keith Geary||Llantwit First Independent gain from Conservative|
|Peterston-super-Ely||Conservative||Rhodri Traherne||Conservative hold|
|Plymouth (Penarth)||Conservative||Maureen Owen||Conservative hold|
|Conservative||Clive Williams||Conservative hold|
|Rhoose||Independent||Philip Clarke||Independent gain from Conservative|
|Conservative||Jeff James||Conservative hold|
|St Athan||Conservative||John Thomas||Conservative hold|
|St Augustine's (Penarth)||Labour||Lis Burnett||Labour gain from Conservative|
|Labour||Gwyn Roberts||Labour gain from Conservative|
|St Brides Major||Conservative||Audrey Preston||Conservative hold|
|Stanwell (Penarth)||Labour||Janice Birch||Labour hold|
|Labour||Mark Wilson||Labour hold|
|Sully||Independent||Bob Penrose||Independent gain from Conservative|
|UKIP||Kevin Mahoney||UKIP gain from Conservative|
|Wenvoe||Conservative||Jonathan Bird||Conservative hold|
- Buttrills (2012)
- Llantwit Major (2015)
- Rhoose (2016)
Caused by the death of Independent councillor Paul Clarke in a motorcycle accident. The by-election, on 30 June 2016, was won by Independent candidate Adam Riley (with the Conservative's ex-council leader Gordon Kemp in second place).
- Gibbonsdown (2016)
The by-election in this Barry ward was caused by the resignation of Labour councillor Rob Curtis and took place on 3 November 2016. It was won by Labour candidate Julie Aviet, with 47.9% of the vote.
- Law, Peter (5 May 2012). "No Tory leader breezing in this time - just one going". South Wales Echo (2012 elections special supplement). p. 3.
- Harris, Sharon (10 May 2012). "Vale of Glamorgan Council elections: Winners and losers". Penarth Times. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Teale, Andrew. "Local Election Results 2012: Vale of Glamorgan". Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "By-election set for Barry's Buttrills ward". Barry & District News. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Buttrills, 2012". WelshElections.org.uk. Archived from the original on 9 May 2018. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Vale councillor dies". Barry & District News. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Llantwit Major by-election, 2015 - Conservative gain from Llantwit First". WelshElections.org.uk. Archived from the original on 3 April 2018. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Date set for by-election to replace councillor who died in collision near karting centre". Wales Online. 27 April 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Sharon Harris (1 July 2016). "Library campaigner Adam Riley elected in Rhoose by-election". Barry & District News. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Sharon Harris (11 October 2016). "Your list of Gibbonsdown by-election candidates". South Wales Argus. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Gibbonsdown by-election, 2016". Welshelections.org.uk. Archived from the original on 9 May 2018. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
|This Elections in Wales related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|