|Date||February 10, 2008|
|Stadium||Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, Hawaii|
|MVP||Adrian Peterson (Minnesota Vikings)|
|National anthem||Kelly Rowland|
|Coin toss||Will Shields and United States Navy Admiral Timothy J. Keating|
|TV in the United States|
|Announcers||Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa, and Brian Baldinger|
The 2008 Pro Bowl was the National Football League's all-star game for the 2007 season. It was played at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii on February 10, 2008. The game was televised in the United States by Fox and began shortly after 11:40am local time (4:40pm EST) following Pole Qualyfiling for 2008 Daytona 500. The NFC won, 42–30, despite a 17-point first half AFC lead. NFC running back Adrian Peterson rushed 16 times for 129 yards and was named the game's MVP, winning a Cadillac CTS in recognition of his efforts.
The starting rosters for the game were released on December 18, 2007, with New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady starting for the AFC and the Green Bay Packers' Brett Favre for the NFC. However, Brett Favre withdrew due to an ankle injury. Notable Pro Bowl selections included the late Sean Taylor. The Dallas Cowboys had a record thirteen players named to the Pro Bowl roster, while five teams, including all four members of the NFC South, had no players initially named (Jeff Garcia of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was later chosen as a replacement quarterback for Brett Favre.) On February 4, 2008, Brady, Patriots receiver Randy Moss, Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, and Chargers defensive lineman Jamal Williams decided to pull out of the 2008 Pro Bowl. Brady was replaced by Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson, Moss was replaced by Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson, Gates was replaced by Browns tight end Kellen Winslow, and Williams was replaced by Pittsburgh Steelers defensive lineman Casey Hampton.
The AFC was coached by Norv Turner of the San Diego Chargers staff, while Mike McCarthy and the staff of the Green Bay Packers coached the NFC. Three Washington Redskins players (Chris Cooley, Chris Samuels and Ethan Albright) wore #21 in memory of Taylor, their deceased teammate. The game featured 41 players appearing in their first Pro Bowl (out of 86 total players), the most in eight years. In addition, the NFC played their first defensive play with only ten players on the field, lacking a free safety, in Taylor's honor.
The game was the most watched Pro Bowl since 2000, pulling in a Nielsen rating of 6.3 and a 12 share. It also marked the first ever Pro Bowl to be televised by Fox. The 2008 Pro Bowl also marked the fewest players represented by a Super Bowl winning team, with Osi Umenyiora being the lone representative of the New York Giants, winners of Super Bowl XLII.
- 1st Quarter
- AFC – Lorenzo Neal 1-yard run (Rob Bironas kick), 10:59. AFC 7–0. Drive: 7 plays, 70 yards, 4:01.
- NFC – Larry Fitzgerald 6-yard pass from Tony Romo (Nick Folk kick), 7:08. Tied 7–7. Drive: 9 plays, 54 yards, 3:51.
- AFC – T.J. Houshmandzadeh 16-yard pass from Peyton Manning (Rob Bironas kick), 2:42. AFC 14–7. Drive: 9 plays, 58 yards, 4:26.
- AFC – Rob Bironas 33-yard FG, 0:48. AFC 17–7. Drive: 5 plays, 14 yards, 1:41.
- 2nd Quarter
- AFC – T.J. Houshmandzadeh 1-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Rob Bironas kick), 12:08. AFC 24–7. Drive: 4 plays, 29 yards, 1:48.
- NFC – Terrell Owens 6-yard pass from Tony Romo (Nick Folk kick), 7:58. AFC 24–14. Drive: 8 plays, 51 yards, 4:10.
- AFC – Rob Bironas 48-yard FG, 3:30. AFC 27–14. Drive: 9 plays, 51 yards, 4:28.
- NFC – Chris Cooley 17-yard pass from Matt Hasselbeck (Nick Folk kick), 0:28. AFC 27–21. Drive: 6 plays, 77 yards, 3:02.
- 3rd Quarter
- 4th Quarter
|Defensive end||69 Jared Allen, Kansas City
93 Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee
|99 Jason Taylor, Miami[b]||94 Aaron Schobel, Buffalo[a]|
|Defensive tackle||92 Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee
75 Vince Wilfork, New England
|76 Jamal Williams, San Diego[b]||98 Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh[a]|
|Outside linebacker||92 James Harrison, Pittsburgh
50 Mike Vrabel, New England
|56 Shawne Merriman, San Diego|
|Inside linebacker||59 DeMeco Ryans, Houston||52 Ray Lewis, Baltimore|
|Cornerback||24 Champ Bailey, Denver
22 Asante Samuel, New England
|31 Antonio Cromartie, San Diego|
|Free safety||20 Ed Reed, Baltimore|
|Strong safety||21 Bob Sanders, Indianapolis[b]||43 Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh[b]||47 John Lynch, Denver[a][c]|
41 Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis[a]
|Punter||9 Shane Lechler, Oakland|
|Placekicker||2 Rob Bironas, Tennessee|
|Kick returner||16 Joshua Cribbs, Cleveland|
|Special teamer||81 Kassim Osgood, San Diego|
|Long snapper||64 Ryan Pontbriand, Cleveland[d]|
|Quarterback||4 Brett Favre, Green Bay[b]|| 9 Tony Romo, Dallas[c]
8 Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle
|7 Jeff Garcia, Tampa Bay[a]|
|Running back||28 Adrian Peterson, Minnesota||24 Marion Barber III, Dallas
36 Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia
|Fullback||49 Tony Richardson, Minnesota|
|Wide receiver||11 Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona
81 Terrell Owens, Dallas
|80 Donald Driver, Green Bay
81 Torry Holt, St. Louis
|Tight end||82 Jason Witten, Dallas||47 Chris Cooley, Washington[f]|
|Offensive tackle||76 Flozell Adams, Dallas
71 Walter Jones, Seattle[b]
|60 Chris Samuels, Washington[c][f]||76 Chad Clifton, Green Bay[a]|
|Offensive guard||70 Leonard Davis, Dallas
76 Steve Hutchinson, Minnesota
|73 Shawn Andrews, Philadelphia|
|Center||65 Andre Gurode, Dallas||78 Matt Birk, Minnesota|
|Defensive end||74 Aaron Kampman, Green Bay
97 Patrick Kerney, Seattle[b]
|72 Osi Umenyiora, N.Y. Giants[c]||58 Trent Cole, Philadelphia[a]|
|Defensive tackle||93 Kevin Williams, Minnesota
94 Pat Williams, Minnesota
|91 Tommie Harris, Chicago[b]||90 Darnell Dockett, Arizona[a]|
|Outside linebacker||59 Julian Peterson, Seattle
94 DeMarcus Ware, Dallas
|55 Lance Briggs, Chicago[b]||98 Greg Ellis, Dallas[a]|
|Inside linebacker||51 Lofa Tatupu, Seattle||52 Patrick Willis, San Francisco|
|Cornerback||31 Al Harris, Green Bay
23 Marcus Trufant, Seattle
|41 Terence Newman, Dallas|
|Free safety||21 Sean Taylor, Washington[e]||26 Ken Hamlin, Dallas[c]|
|Strong safety||42 Darren Sharper, Minnesota||31 Roy Williams, Dallas[g]|
|Punter||4 Andy Lee, San Francisco|
|Placekicker||6 Nick Folk, Dallas|
|Kick returner||23 Devin Hester, Chicago|
|Special teamer||94 Brendon Ayanbadejo, Chicago|
|Long snapper||67 Ethan Albright, Washington[d][f]|
- a Replacement selection due to injury or vacancy
- b Injured player; selected but did not play
- c Replacement starter; selected as reserve
- d "Need player"; named by coach
- e Posthumous selection
- f Wore 21 in honor of Sean Taylor
- g Replacement for posthumous selection Sean Taylor
Number of selections per team
|AFC Team||Selections||NFC Team||Selections|
|San Diego Chargers||9||Dallas Cowboys||13|
|New England Patriots||8||Minnesota Vikings||7|
|Cleveland Browns||6||Seattle Seahawks||6|
|Indianapolis Colts||6||Green Bay Packers||5|
|Pittsburgh Steelers||6||Chicago Bears||4|
|Baltimore Ravens||4||Washington Redskins||4|
|Tennessee Titans||3||Philadelphia Eagles||3|
|Buffalo Bills||2||Arizona Cardinals||2|
|Cincinnati Bengals||2||San Francisco 49ers||2|
|Denver Broncos||2||New York Giants||1|
|Kansas City Chiefs||2||St. Louis Rams||1|
|Houston Texans||1||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||1|
|Jacksonville Jaguars||1||Atlanta Falcons||0|
|Miami Dolphins||1||Carolina Panthers||0|
|Oakland Raiders||1||Detroit Lions||0|
|New York Jets||0||New Orleans Saints||0|
- NFL.com. "2008 Pro Bowl Gamebook" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- Maffei, John (2008-02-08). "Davis focuses on job with ESPN". North County Times. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "Judge: Vick can keep bonus". Associated Press. 2008-02-05. Archived from the original on February 10, 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- Sakamoto, Kyle (2008-02-08). "Redskins to honor fallen teammate". The Honolulu Advertiser website. Archived from the original on 14 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- Jaymes Song (2008-02-09). "Fred Taylor among 41 Pro Bowl 'rookies'". Associated Press. Retrieved 2008-02-09.[dead link]
- "Pro Bowl draws highest ratings since 2000". Associated Press. 2008-02-12. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2008 Pro Bowl.|