|2006 NCAA Division I Football Championship|
|FCS National Championship Game|
2006 FCS National Championship trophy (center)
|Date||December 15, 2006|
|National anthem||Trace Adkins|
|Referee||J. Sullivan (Gateway)|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Dave Pasch (play-by-play), Rod Gilmore (color), Trevor Matich (color), Dave Ryan (sideline)|
The 2006 NCAA Division I Football Championship Game was a postseason college football game between the UMass Minutemen and the Appalachian State Mountaineers. The game was played on December 15, 2006, at Finley Stadium, home field of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. This was the first season that the NCAA football classification formerly known as Division I-AA operated as the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). The culminating game of the 2006 NCAA Division I FCS football season, it was won by Appalachian State, 28–17.
Appalachian State Mountaineers
Appalachian State finished their regular season with a 10–1 record (7–0 in conference). Their only loss was to NC State of the FBS, in their first game of the season. The Mountaineers were the first-seed in the tournament and defeated Coastal Carolina, Montana State, and fourth-seed Youngstown State to reach the final. This was Appalachian State's second consecutive appearance in the championship game, having won the title in 2005.
UMass finished their regular season with a 10–1 record (8–0 in conference). Their only loss was to Navy of the FBS, in their second game of the season. The Minutemen were the third-seed in the tournament and defeated Lafayette, New Hampshire, and second-seed Montana to reach the final. This was the third appearance for UMass in a Division I-AA/FCS championship game, having won in 1998 and having lost in 1978.
|No. 1 Mountaineers||7||7||0||14||28|
|No. 3 Minutemen||7||0||7||3||17|
|Time of possession||33:10||26:50|
|Appalachian State||Passing||Armanti Edwards||12–19, 146 yds, 1 INT|
|Rushing||Kevin Richardson||30 car, 179 yds, 4 TD|
|3 rec, 44 yds|
3 rec, 44 yds
|UMass||Passing||Liam Coen||20–33, 221 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT|
|Rushing||Steve Baylark||24 car, 133 yds|
|Receiving||Brad Listorti||5 rec, 78 yds, 1 TD|
- "2006 FCS Championship - Appalachian State vs. UMass". Retrieved January 18, 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Football vs. Appalachian State (box score)". umassathletics.com. December 15, 2006. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "I-AA Championship (box score)". Hartford Courant. Hartford, Connecticut. December 17, 2006. p. E11. Retrieved January 9, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "No. 3 UMass Falls To No. 1 App State In NCAA Final, 28-17". umassathletics.com. December 15, 2006. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "NCAA Division I Football Championship". umassathletics.com. December 16, 2006. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "Division I-AA Poll". Missoulian. Missoula, Montana. The Sports Network. November 21, 2006. p. D3. Retrieved February 5, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- Box score at umassathletics.com
- 2006 FCS Championship - Appalachian State vs. UMass via YouTube