|1998 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship|
|I-AA National Championship Game|
|Date||December 19, 1998|
|Referee||John W. Keys (Big Sky)|
|United States TV coverage|
The 1998 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship Game was a postseason college football game between the Georgia Southern Eagles and the UMass Minutemen. The game was played on December 19, 1998, at Finley Stadium, home field of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. The culminating game of the 1998 NCAA Division I-AA football season, it was won by UMass, 55–43.
UMass finished their regular season with an 8–3 record (6–2 in conference); two of their losses had been to rival Connecticut, with one considered a non-conference game. Seeded 11th in the playoffs, the Minutemen defeated sixth-seed McNeese State, 14-seed Lehigh, and second-seed Northwestern State to reach the final. This was the second appearance for UMass in a Division I-AA championship game, having lost to Florida A&M in the 1978 inaugural title game.
Georgia Southern Eagles
Georgia Southern finished their regular season with an 11–0 record (8–0 in conference). The Eagles, seeded first, defeated 16-seed Colgate, eighth-seed Connecticut, and fourth-seed Western Illinois to reach the final. This was the sixth appearance for Georgia Southern in a Division I-AA championship game, having four prior wins (1985, 1986, 1989, 1990) and one prior loss (1988).
|No. 1 Eagles||7||14||12||10||43|
|No. 11 Minutemen||21||17||0||17||55|
|Time of possession||30:48||29:12|
|Georgia Southern||Passing||Greg Hill||8–16, 111 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT|
|Rushing||Greg Hill||29 car, 228 yds, 2 TD|
|Receiving||Corey Joyner||6 rec, 94 yds, 1 TD|
|UMass||Passing||Todd Bankhead||17–25, 152 yds|
|Rushing||Marcel Shipp||35 car, 244 yds, 3 TD|
|Receiving||Jimmy Moore||6 rec, 63 yds|
- "1998 NCAA Division I-AA Championship Game" (PDF). December 19, 1998. Retrieved February 20, 2019 – via amazonaws.com.
- "NCAA I-AA Championship". GATAdb. December 19, 1998. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "UMass Wins I-AA Championship". CBS News. December 19, 1998. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "Division I-AA playoffs". Missoulian. Missoula, Montana. November 23, 1998. p. D5. Retrieved February 8, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "UMass Minutemen 1998 Schedule". cfbinfo.com. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "Georgia Southern Eagles 1998 Schedule". cfbinfo.com. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "NCAA box score". umasshoops.com. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "NCAA Division I-AA Poll". St. Louis Post Dispatch. The Sports Network. AP. November 24, 1998. p. C4. Retrieved February 20, 2019 – via newspapers.com.