|Dates||March 31 – April 3, 1988|
|Location||Rancho Mirage, California|
|Course(s)||Mission Hills Country Club|
(Dinah Shore Tourn. Course)
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,308 yards (5,768 m)|
|Field||110 players, 79 after cut |
The 1988 Nabisco Dinah Shore was a women's professional golf tournament, held March 31 to April 3 at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, California. This was the 17th edition of the Nabisco Dinah Shore, and the sixth as a major championship.
Amy Alcott won the second of her three Dinah Shores, two strokes ahead of runner-up Colleen Walker. With consecutive scores of 66 on Friday and Saturday, she entered the final round with a four-stroke lead.
Alcott and caddy Bill Kurre started the tradition of jumping into "Poppie's Pond" upon winning. After her third win 1991, they repeated the plunge, including tournament host Dinah Shore. It was not fully embraced by others until 1994, when Donna Andrews made the leap, followed by Nanci Bowen the next year, and it became an annual tradition.
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Amy Alcott||United States||1983||71||66||66||71||274||−14||1|
|Juli Inkster||United States||1984||74||73||70||69||286||−2||T12|
|Betsy King||United States||1987||77||70||71||74||292||+4||T35|
|Pat Bradley||United States||1986||72||75||77||77||301||+13||T74|
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Alice Miller||United States||1985||77||76||153||+9|
Sunday, April 3, 1988
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Amy Alcott||United States||71-66-66-71=274||−14||80,000|
|2||Colleen Walker||United States||73-65-69-69=276||−12||42,000|
|3||Rosie Jones||United States||73-67-68-71=279||−9||26,000|
|4||Caroline Keggi (a)||United States||75-71-66-69=281||−7||0|
|Nancy Lopez||United States||74-69-70-69=282|
|Jane Geddes||United States||75-73-66-70=284|
|Dottie Pepper||United States||76-71-70-67=284|
|T10||Debbie Massey||United States||72-68-73-72=285||−3||10,643|
- "LPGA Dinah Shore". Wilmington Morning Star. (North Carolina). April 4, 1988. p. 2B.
- "Alcott moves into lead". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. April 2, 1988. p. 5C.
- Diaz, Jaime (April 11, 1988). "Alcott, Shore enough". Sports Illustrated. p. 72.
- "Alcott takes Dinah Shore, then takes victory plunge". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. April 4, 1988. p. 2C.
- "Alcott fires another 66 to open gap". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. April 3, 1988. p. 4B.
- Florence, Mal (April 1, 1991). "Alcott repeats her win and her dive". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). (Los Angeles Times). p. 2C.
- "Bowen's first LPGA victory a major one". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. March 27, 1995. p. 2B.
- Crouse, Karen (April 2, 2011). "At women's Masters, plunge in Poppie's Pond is victory lap". New York Times. Retrieved April 3, 2018.