|Dates||April 2–5, 1987|
|Location||Rancho Mirage, California|
|Course(s)||Mission Hills Country Club|
(Dinah Shore Tourn. Course)
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,292 yards (5,753 m)|
|Field||67 after cut |
|283 (−5), playoff|
The 1987 Nabisco Dinah Shore was a women's professional golf tournament, held April 2–5 at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, California. This was the 16th edition of the Nabisco Dinah Shore, and the fifth as a major championship.
Betsy King won the first of her six major titles in a sudden-death playoff over Patty Sheehan, with a par on the second extra hole. King entered the final round as co-leader at 215 (−1) with defending champion Pat Bradley, who finished a stroke back in solo third.
Sunday, April 5, 1987
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|T1||Betsy King||United States||68-75-72-68=283||−5||Playoff|
|Patty Sheehan||United States||77-73-68-65=283|
|3||Pat Bradley||United States||72-74-69-69=284||−4||26,000|
|4||Rosie Jones||United States||72-73-72-68=285||−3||19,890|
|T5||Christa Johnson||United States||72-79-66-70=287||−1||15,870|
|Colleen Walker||United States||72-74-73-68=287|
|T8||Jane Geddes||United States||73-77-67-71=288||E||11,850|
|Cathy Gerring||United States||72-75-71-70=288|
|10||Jody Rosenthal||United States||72-72-75-70=289||+1||10,054|
On the first extra hole (#15), King hit her tee shot into the rough and then scrambled for par, while Sheehan missed a birdie putt. At #16, Sheehan again had a birdie opportunity, but three-putted from fifteen feet (4.5 m) while King sank a three-footer for par to win.
|1||Betsy King||United States||80,000|
|2||Patty Sheehan||United States||42,000|
- "Dinah Shore leaders". Wilmington Morning Star. (North Carolina). April 6, 1987. p. 2B.
- "LPGA Dinah Shore". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. April 6, 1987. p. C4.
- "LPGA Dinah Shore". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. April 4, 1987. p. B5.
- Diaz, Jaime (April 13, 1987). "Shootout down at the Shore". Sports Illustrated. p. 57.
- "Dinah Shore champion feels like crowned King". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. April 6, 1987. p. C2.
- "King nips Sheehan on 2nd playoff hole". Wilmington Morning Tribune. (North Carolina). wire services. April 6, 1987. p. 5B.
- "Sand shot helps King win crown". The Bulletin. (Bend, Oregon). UPI. April 6, 1987. p. D2.
- "Bradley shoots 69 to tie for Dinah Shore lead". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. April 5, 1987. p. D3.