|1987 Indiana Hoosiers football|
|Conference||Big Ten Conference|
|1987 record||8–4 (6–2 Big Ten)|
|Home stadium||Memorial Stadium|
|1987 Big Ten Conference football standings|
|No. 8 Michigan State $||7||–||0||–||1||9||–||2||–||1|
|No. 16 Iowa||6||–||2||–||0||10||–||3||–||0|
|No. 19 Michigan||5||–||3||–||0||8||–||4||–||0|
Rankings from AP Poll
The 1987 Indiana Hoosiers football team represented Indiana University in the 1987 NCAA Division I-A football season. Playing as a member of the Big Ten Conference (Big Ten), the team was led by head coach Bill Mallory, in his fourth year, and played their home games at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington, Indiana. They finished the season with a record of eight wins and four losses (8–4 overall, 6–2 in the Big Ten) and with a loss against Tennessee in the Peach Bowl.
In their season opener against Rice, Anthony Thompson rushed for 105 yards and a pair of touchdowns en route to a 35–13 Indiana win. However, in what was the renewal of their rivalry against Kentucky, the Hoosiers lost 34–15 at Lexington. Indiana rebounded from their loss to the Wildcats with a five-game winning streak. After a win over Missouri, Indiana defeated Northwestern to open their conference schedule behind a 170-yard, and two touchdown performance by Thompson. The next week, the Hoosiers traveled to Columbus to play No. 9 Ohio State, and for the first time since 1951 Indiana defeated the Buckeyes in their 31–10 upset victory.
Indiana followed their upset with a win at Minnesota after Chip Lohmiller missed what would have been a game-winning field goal in the final minutes for the Gophers. The Hoosiers then returned to Bloomington where they defeated Michigan for the first time since the 1967 season to move into first place in the Big Ten standings. After their win over the Wolverines, Indiana was ranked No. 11, however they went on to split their final four games with losses against Iowa and Michigan State and victories over Illinois and Purdue and finished the regular season tied for second in conference with an overall record of eight wins and three losses.
In November, the Hoosiers accepted an invitation to play in the Peach Bowl against Tennessee of the Southeastern Conference Against the Volunteers, Indiana fell behind by a score of 21–3. However, the Hoosiers rallied and took a 22–21 lead in the fourth quarter only to fall 27–22 after Tennessee scored a late touchdown.
|September 12||Rice*||W 35–13||38,132|
|September 19||at Kentucky*||L 15–34||57,924|
|September 26||Missouri*||W 20–17||41,145|
|October 3||Northwestern||W 35–18||38,553|
|October 10||at No. 9 Ohio State||W 31–10||90,032|
|October 16||at Minnesota||No. 20||W 18–17||60,340|
|October 24||No. 20 Michigan||No. 15||W 14–10||51,240|
|October 31||at Iowa||No. 11||L 21–29||67,700|
|November 7||Illinois||No. 18||W 34–22||50,026|
|November 14||at No. 13 Michigan State||No. 16||ABC||L 3–27||76,411|
|November 21||Purdue||No. 20||W 35–14||51,951|
|January 2, 1988||vs. No. 17 Tennessee*||Mizlou||L 22–27||58,737|
|Eric Moore||Offensive guard||1||10||New York Giants|
|Van Waiters||Linebacker||3||77||Cleveland Browns|
|Ernie Jones||Wide receiver||7||179||Phoenix Cardinals|
|Eric Hickerson||Defensive back||10||259||New York Giants|
- 2012 Indiana Football Record Book (PDF). Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Athletics Media Relations Department. 2012. p. 88. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Indiana has easy time in victory over Rice". The Milwaukee Journal. Associated Press. September 13, 1987. p. 5C. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Kentucky blasts Indiana, 34–15". The Toledo Blade. Associated Press. September 20, 1987. p. D2. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Hoosiers take high road, low road to thump Wildcats". Rome News-Tribune. Associated Press. October 4, 1987. p. 9B. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "After 36 years, Indiana finally beats Ohio State". The Gadsden Times. Associated Press. October 11, 1987. p. B5. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Schnell leads Indiana; Minnesota loses first". The Pittsburgh Press. Associated Press. October 17, 1987. p. C3. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Alfano, Peter (October 25, 1987). "Historic day for surging Hoosiers". The New York Times. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Barhnart, Tony (January 2, 1988). "Indiana has point to prove against Tennessee". The Miami News. p. 12B. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Tennessee, Indiana in the Peach Bowl". Spartanburg Herald-Journal. November 17, 1987. p. D4. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Tennessee overcomes mistakes for 27–22 victory in Peach Bowl". The Toledo Blade. Associated Press. January 3, 1988. p. E2. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "1987 Homecoming". Indiana Arbutus (yearboook). Archived from the original on 2017-08-14. Retrieved October 14, 2015.
- "1988 NFL Draft". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 26, 2013.