|1987 24 Hours of Le Mans|
|Previous: 1986||Next: 1988|
|Index: Races | Winners|
A chicane was installed in the middle of the Dunlop Curve, just prior to the Dunlop Bridge, in an attempt to slow speeds for sportscars as they went from the main straight to the Esses. The new chicane was also intended to slow motorcycles for races on the Bugatti Circuit.
With the cancellation of the B Class, the race was the first in the history of Le Mans to lack any homologated class entries. The hiatus would last until 1993.
Porsche 962C cars suffered from piston failure due to the wrong microchip fitted for fuel management, causing a lean mixture and burned pistons. The #17 car of Bell, Stuck, and Holbert escaped this fate with a new chip fitted, running largely uncontested to the finish.
Class winners in bold. Cars failing to complete 70% of the winner's distance marked as Not Classified (NC).
- Pole Position - Bob Wollek, #18 Rothmans Porsche AG - 3:21.090
- Fastest Lap - Johnny Dumfries, #62 Kouros Racing - 3:25.400
- Distance - 4791.777 km
- Average Speed - 199.661 km/h
- "FIA World Sports-Prototype Championship 1987 - 24 h Le Mans". World Sports Racing Prototypes. 2 October 2005. Archived from the original on 26 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- "Le Mans 24 Hours 1987". Racing Sports Cars. 4 October 2007. Archived from the original on 10 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
|World Sportscar Championship|
1987 1000km of Silverstone
|1987 season||Next race:|
1987 200 Miles of Norisring