|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1982 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- Archaeological Museum of Olympia opens in Greece.
- October 11 - Hull of Tudor navy ship Mary Rose raised from the Solent.
- The Chaco Project ends at Chaco Canyon (begun 1971).
- May 12 - Coppergate Helmet found in York, England.
- NASA's Thermal Infrared Multispectral Scanner (TIMS) detects over 200 miles of a precolumbian (AD 900 or 1000) road system in Chaco Canyon, as well as walls, buildings, and agricultural fields.
- Uluburun shipwreck discovered.
- Wreck of HMS Swift (1762) located in Puerto Deseado in Patagonia.
- A. F. Harding (ed.) - Climatic Change in Later Prehistory ISBN 0-85224-425-8
- Richard Hodges - Dark Age Economics: the Origins of Towns and Trade, A.D. 600-1000 ISBN 0-7156-1531-9
- Roger Moorey - A Century of Biblical Archaeology ISBN 0-7188-2825-9
- September 18 - Pei Wenzhong, founding father of Chinese anthropology, buried at Peking Man Site in Zhoukoudian, China (b. 1904).
- October - Michael J. O'Kelly, Irish archaeologist (b. 1915).
- "Mary Rose rises after 437 years". On This Day. BBC. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "The York Helmet". York: Yorkshire Museum. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Trombold, Charles D. (1991). Ancient Road Networks and Settlement Hierarchies in the New World. Cambridge University Press. p. 7. ISBN 9780521383370.
- "Pei, Wenzhong (1904-1982) - People and organisations". Trove. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- O'Kelly, Michael J.; O'Kelly, Claire. Early Ireland: An Introduction to Irish Prehistory. Cambridge University Press. p. xi. ISBN 9780521336871.