|1981 New York Mets|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Fred Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday, Jr.|
|General manager(s)||Frank Cashen|
|Local radio||WMCA |
(Ralph Kiner, Bob Murphy, Steve Albert, Art Shamsky)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The New York Mets' 1981 season was the 20th regular season for the Mets. They went 41–62 and finished in fifth place in the National League East. They were managed by Joe Torre. They played home games at Shea Stadium. The season is remembered for a summer strike that cut the season in half.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Farm system
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- November 16, 1980: Kevin Mitchell was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets.
- December 15, 1980: José Moreno and John Pacella were traded by the Mets to the San Diego Padres for Randy Jones.
- December 15, 1980: Rick Sweet was purchased by the Mets from the San Diego Padres.
- December 16, 1980: Rusty Staub was signed as a free agent by the Mets.
- December 19, 1980: Mike Cubbage was signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets.
- January 13, 1981: Randy Milligan was drafted by the Mets in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 1981 Major League Baseball Draft.
|St. Louis Cardinals||59||43||0.578||—||32–21||27–22|
|New York Mets||41||62||0.398||18½||24–27||17–35|
First Half Standings
|St. Louis Cardinals||30||20||.600|
|New York Mets||17||34||.333|
Second Half Standings
|St. Louis Cardinals||29||23||.558|
|New York Mets||24||28||.462|
Record vs. opponents
1981 National League Records
Sources:            
- April 3, 1981: John Csefalvay (minors) was traded by the Mets to the Houston Astros for Gary Rajsich.
- April 5, 1981: Dan Boitano was purchased by the New York Mets from the Milwaukee Brewers.
- April 6, 1981: Butch Benton was sent to the Chicago Cubs by the New York Mets as part of a conditional deal.
- May 29, 1981: Jeff Reardon and Dan Norman were traded by the Mets to the Montreal Expos for Ellis Valentine.
- June 8, 1981: 1981 Major League Baseball Draft
- June 15, 1981: Bill Latham was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets.
- August 19, 1981: Mike Marshall was signed as a free agent by the Mets.
|1981 New York Mets roster|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Jackson
- Kevin Mitchell page at Baseball Reference
- Jose Moreno page at Baseball Reference
- Rick Sweet page at Baseball Reference
- Rusty Staub page at Baseball Reference
- Randy Milligan page at Baseball Reference
- Gary Rajsich page at Baseball Reference
- Jeff Reardon page at Baseball Reference
- John Christensen page at Baseball Reference
- Roger Clemens page at Baseball Reference
- Lenny Dykstra page at Baseball Reference
- Lou Thornton page at Baseball Reference
- Bill Latham page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Marshall page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (1997). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (2nd ed.). Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-0-9637189-8-3.