The year 1973 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- Alexander Calder is hired by Braniff International Airways to paint a full-size DC-8-62 as a "flying canvas".
- Aristeidis Metallinos begins his career as a sculptor.
- Robert Scull's collection of American Pop and Minimal art is auctioned by Sotheby's in New York City.
- Michael Ayrton – Icarus (sculpture, London)
- Michael Craig-Martin ��� An Oak Tree (conceptual work)
- William Eggleston – The Red Ceiling (photograph)
- Ben Enwonwu – Tutu
- Gluck – Credo (Rage, Rage Against the Dying of the Light) (completed)
- Barbara Hepworth – Conversation with Magic Stones
- David Inshaw – The Badminton Game
- Nabil Kanso – Place des Martyres (paintings); Vietnam paintings series (through 1974)
- Frederic Littman – Farewell to Orpheus (bronze, Portland, Oregon)
- Joan Miró – completes series The navigator's hope
- Henry Moore – Large Four Piece Reclining Figure 1972–73 (bronze)
- Ivor Roberts-Jones – Statue of Winston Churchill, Parliament Square (bronze, London)
- Euan Uglow – Georgia
- David Wynne
- January 29 – Louise Hindsgavl, Danish artist
- February 1 – Yuri Landman, Dutch musician, comic book creator and singer
- May 8 – Hiromu Arakawa, Japanese manga artist
- July 7 – Natsuki Takaya, Japanese manga artist
- August 18 – Jerome Lagarrigue, French painter and illustrator
Full date unknown
- Jean-Pierre Canlis, American glass artist.
- Oisín McGann, Irish author and illustrator.
- Rosalind Nashashibi, English Palestinian film artist.
January to June
- January 17 – Tarsila do Amaral, Brazilian modernist artist (b. 1886).
- March 14 – Chic Young, American cartoonist (b. 1901).
- March 25 – Edward Steichen, American photographer, painter and curator (b. 1879).
- April 8 – Pablo Picasso, Spanish painter, draftsman, and sculptor (b. 1881).
- April 28 – Siri Derkert, Swedish artist, sculptor and political campaigner (b. 1888).
- May 1 – Asger Jorn, Danish artist and essayist (b. 1914).
- May 12 – Edith Tudor Hart, née Suschitzky, Austrian-born photojournalist and communist agent in Britain (b. 1908).
- May 16 – Albert Paris Gütersloh, Austrian painter and writer (b. 1887).
July to December
- July 20 – Robert Smithson, American artist (b. 1938)
- September 30 – Peter Pitseolak, Inuit photographer, artist and historian (b. 1902)
- November 13 – Elsa Schiaparelli, Italian fashion designer (b. 1890)
- November 17 – Adolf Wissel, German painter, an official artist of Nazism (b. 1894)
- December 7 – Camilo Mori Chilean painter (b. 1896)
- December 13 – Ralph Stackpole, American sculptor, painter, muralist, etcher and art educator (b. 1885)
Full date unknown
- Claude Buckle, English poster artist and watercolourist (b. 1905).
- Ronald Ossory Dunlop, Irish author and painter (b. 1894).
- Giannis M. Maris (1978) "Βιογραφικό - Αριστείδης Ζαχ. Μεταλληνός", in Απάνθισμα Γραμμάτων και Τεχνών, Athens, pp. 611–617.
- Trine Ross. "Porcelænsfigurer viser de mindre pæne sider af os selv". Politiken: Kultur
- Damian, Carol (1999). "Tarsila Do Amaral: Art and Environmental Concerns of a Brazilian Modernist". Woman's Art Journal. 20 (1): 3–7.
- "Ralph Ward Stackpole (1885–1973)". AskART. 2000–2010. Retrieved April 23, 2010.