|Dates||July 19–22, 1973|
|Location||Rochester, New York|
|Course(s)||Country Club of Rochester|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,120 yards (5,596 m)|
|Field||147: 99 pros, 48 amateurs|
59 after cut
Defending champion Susie Berning won the third of her three U.S. Women's Open titles, five strokes ahead of runners-up Gloria Ehret and Shelley Hamlin. After a three-under 69 in the third round, Berning was the co-leader with Pam Higgins, two strokes ahead of 36-hole leader Sharon Miller.
The championship was held at the course twenty years earlier in 1953, the first Women's Open conducted by the United States Golf Association (USGA). It was the second consecutive Women's Open played in the state of New York; the 1972 edition was at Winged Foot in Mamaroneck.
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Susie Berning||United States||1968, 1972||72||77||69||72||290||+2||1|
|Mary Mills||United States||1963||74||73||75||76||298||+10||T6|
|Sandra Spuzich||United States||1966||75||79||74||72||300||+12||T12|
|Murle Breer||United States||1962||76||75||75||76||302||+14||T17|
|Kathy Cornelius||United States||1956||74||77||76||75||302||+14||T17|
|Donna Caponi Young||United States||1969, 1970||78||73||76||77||304||+16||T25|
|JoAnne Carner||United States||1971||75||75||82||80||312||+24||T48|
|Betsy Rawls||United States||1951, 1953,
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||76|
|Carol Mann||United States||1965||79|
Sunday, July 22, 1973
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Susie Berning||United States||72-77-69-72=290||+2||6,000|
|T2||Gloria Ehret||United States||75-75-74-71=295||+7||2,500|
|Shelley Hamlin||United States||76-70-75-74=295|
|4||Anne Sander (a)||United States||74-72-76-74=296||+8||0|
|5||Pam Higgins||United States||72-76-70-79=297||+9||1,600|
|T6||Mary Mills||United States||74-73-75-76=298||+10||1,400|
|Sandra Palmer||United States||76-72-74-76=298|
|Judy Rankin||United States||77-72-75-74=298|
|T9||Jane Blalock||United States||78-76-72-73=299||+11||$1,117|
|Mary Lou Crocker||United States||75-78-69-77=299|
|Sue Roberts||United States||71-81-73-74=299|
- "Pressure over now, it's vacation time". Tuscaloosa News. (Alabama). Associated Press. July 23, 1973. p. 10.
- Pike, Marvin R. (July 19, 1973). "Jitters time for Women's Open golfers at Rochester". Lewiston Daily Sun. (Maine). Associated Press. p. 24.
- "Miller takes lead in Women's Open". Spartanburg Herald-Journal. (South Carolina). Associated Press. July 21, 1973. p. A6.
- McDermott, Barry (July 30, 1973). "Birthday present for herself". Sports Illustrated. p. 18.
- "Berning, Higgins share Open lead". Tuscaloosa News. (Alabama). Associated Press. July 22, 1973. p. 2B.
- "Miller forges LPGA lead". St. Petersburg Times. (Florida). UPI. July 21, 1973. p. 4C.
- "Sports Scoreboard: U.S. Women's Open". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). July 20, 1973. p. 4D.
- Golf Observer final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1973
- Country Club of Rochester