|Champions||Wisconsin Badgers (1st title)|
(Denver Pioneers vacated) (- title game)
|Winning coach||Bob Johnson (1st title)|
|MOP||Dean Talafous Wisconsin|
The 1973 NCAA Men's Division I Ice Hockey Tournament was the culmination of the 1972–73 NCAA Division I men's ice hockey season, the 26th such tournament in NCAA history. It was held between March 15 and 17, 1973, and concluded with Wisconsin defeating Denver 4-2. All games were played at the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.
After the tournament Denver's participation was vacated as a result of NCAA recruiting violations.
- 1 Qualifying teams
- 2 Format
- 3 Tournament bracket
- 4 All-Tournament Team
- 5 References
Four teams qualified for the tournament, two each from the eastern and western regions. The ECAC tournament champion and the two WCHA tournament co-champions received automatic bids into the tournament. An at-large bid was offered to a second eastern team based upon both their ECAC tournament finish as well as their regular season record.
|Seed||School||Conference||Record||Berth type||Appearance||Last bid||Seed||School||Conference||Record||Berth type||Appearance||Last bid|
|1||Cornell||ECAC Hockey||23–3–1||Tournament champion||6th||1972||1||Denver||WCHA||28–8–1||Tournament co-champion||11th (vacated)||1972|
|2||Boston College||ECAC Hockey||21–6–1||At-Large||10th||1968||2||Wisconsin||WCHA||27–9–2||Tournament co-champion||3rd||1972|
The ECAC champion was seeded as the top eastern team while the WCHA co-champion with the better regular season record was given the top western seed. The second eastern seed was slotted to play the top western seed and vice versa. All games were played at the Boston Garden. All matches were single-game eliminations with the semifinal winners advancing to the national championship game and the losers playing in a consolation game.
|E2||Boston College||4||Third place game|
Note: * denotes overtime period(s)
Note: † Denver's participation was later vacated due to NCAA violations
(W1) Denver vs. (E2) Boston College
|March 15||Denver||10 – 4||Boston College||Boston Garden|
(E1) Cornell vs. (W2) Wisconsin
|March 16||Cornell||5 – 6||OT||Wisconsin||Boston Garden|
|(Kuzmicz, Bo. Murray) Doug Marrett - 00:40
(Ceci) Paul Perras - 08:52
|First period||No scoring|
|(Bi. Murray, Bo. Murray) George Kuzmicz - 00:31
(Skillins, Peace) Mike McGuire - 04:39
|Second period||12:03 - PP - Norm Cherrey (Bentley, Talafous)|
18:28 - Dennis Olmstead (Hinkley)
|(unassisted) Bill Murray - 00:40||Third period||08:16 - Gary Winchester (Pay, Hinkley)|
16:49 - Jack Johnson (Winchester, Taft)
19:55 - EA - Dean Talafous (Hinkley, Olmstead)
|No scoring||First overtime period||09:27 - GW - Dean Talafous (Olmstead, Alley)|
|( 35 saves / 36 shots ) Dave Elenbaas||Goalie stats||Dick Perkins ( 24 saves / 27 shots )|
(E1) Cornell vs. (E2) Boston College
|March 17||Cornell||1 – 3||Boston College||Boston Garden|
|No Scoring||First period||No scoring|
|No scoring||Second period||00:22 - Bob Reardon (Mellor)|
12:25 - Ed Kenty (unassisted)
|(Ugolini) Doug Marrett - 08:42||Third period||19:59 - EN - Jim Doyle (Smith, Reardon)|
|( 26 saves / 28 shots ) Dave Elenbaas||Goalie stats||Neil Higgins ( 46 saves / 47 shots )|
(W1) Denver vs. (W2) Wisconsin
|March 17||Denver||2 – 4||Wisconsin||Boston Garden|
|1st||WIS||Dave Pay||Johnston and Eaves||3:05||1–0 WIS|
|DEN||Jim Miller||McNab and Pearson||3:55||1–1|
|2nd||DEN||John Pearson – PP||McNab||:54||2–1 DEN|
|WIS||Tim Dool – PP||Cherrey and Bentley||4:17||2–2|
|WIS||Dean Talafous – GW||Lundeen and Deprez||8:30||3–2 WIS|
|3rd||WIS||Jim Johnston||Winchester and Pay||2:34||4–2 WIS|
- G: Jim Makey (Wisconsin)
- D: vacated†
- D: John Taft (Wisconsin)
- F: Stan Hinkley (Wisconsin)
- F: vacated†
- F: Dean Talafous* (Wisconsin)
- "Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship History". NCAA. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "NCAA Division 1 Tournament". College Hockey Historical Archives. Archived from the original on 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "NCAA Tournament". College Hockey Historical Archives. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "1973 Championship Boxscore" (PDF). Wisconsin Badgers. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "1994-95 Wisconsin Hockey Media Guide" (PDF). Wisconsin Badgers. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "NCAA Frozen Four Records" (PDF). NCAA.org. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-06-22. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "NCAA Division I Awards". College Hockey Historical Archives. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Official 2008 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Records Book (PDF). Indianapolis: National Collegiate Athletic Association. pp. 54, 58. ISSN 1089-0092. Retrieved 2008-05-27.[permanent dead link]
- "1973 NCAA Tournament". Inside College Hockey. Archived from the original on 23 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "NCAA Division 1 Tournament". College Hockey historical Archive. Archived from the original on 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2013-07-02.
- "NCAA Division 1 Awards". College Hockey historical Archive. Retrieved 2013-07-02.
- "Bob Johnson Year-by-Year Coaching Record". USCHO.com. Archived from the original on 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-02.
- "Attendance Records and Sites" (PDF). NCAA.org. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2013-07-02.