|1972 Buffalo Bills season|
|Head coach||Lou Saban|
|Home field||War Memorial Stadium|
|Division place||4th AFC East|
|Playoff finish||Did not qualify|
The 1972 Buffalo Bills season was the franchise's 3rd season in the National Football League, and the 13th overall. It was also their last season at War Memorial Stadium which had been their home field since the franchise started in 1960.
Saban had a new offensive philosophy for Buffalo in 1972: in his first three seasons, former number one overall pick O.J. Simpson had only carried the ball an average of 161 times per season. Saban rushed Simpson 292 times in 1972, the second-most in the league.
Although the Bills had a potent, yard-gaining rushing attack, they could not put enough points on the scoreboard, scoring only 257 points (18.3 per game) all season, 19th in the league. Furthermore, Buffalo's defense gave up 377 points (23.5 per game), the third-most in the NFL in 1972.
|1972 Buffalo Bills draft|
|1||1||Walt Patulski||DE||Notre Dame|
|4||79||Randy Jackson||RB||Wichita State|
|5||105||Leon Garror||DB||Alcorn A&M|
|5||108||Bob Penchion||G||Alcorn A&M|
|10||235||Maurice Tyler||DB||Morgan State|
|13||313||Eddie Moss||RB||Southeast Missouri State|
|Made roster † Pro Football Hall of Fame * Made at least one Pro Bowl during career|
Special teams coaches
In his fourth NFL season, running back O. J. Simpson gained over 1,000 yards rushing for the first time.
|1||September 17||New York Jets||L 24–41||0–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|2||September 24||San Francisco 49ers||W 27–20||1–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|3||October 1||Baltimore Colts||L 0–17||1–2||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|4||October 8||New England Patriots||W 38–14||2–2||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|5||October 15||at Oakland Raiders||L 16–28||2–3||Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum||Recap|
|6||October 22||at Miami Dolphins||L 23–24||2–4||Orange Bowl||Recap|
|7||October 29||Pittsburgh Steelers||L 21–38||2–5||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|8||November 5||Miami Dolphins||L 16–30||2–6||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|9||November 12||at New York Jets||L 3–41||2–7||Shea Stadium||Recap|
|10||November 19||at New England Patriots||W 27–24||3–7||Schaefer Stadium||Recap|
|11||November 26||at Cleveland Browns||L 10–27||3–8||Cleveland Stadium||Recap|
|12||December 3||at Baltimore Colts||L 7–35||3–9||Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|13||December 10||Detroit Lions||T 21–21||3–9–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|14||December 17||at Washington Redskins||W 24–17||4–9–1||Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium||Recap|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2014)
- O.J. Simpson 29 Rush, 138 Yds
Week 13 vs Lions
- Date: December 10
- Game time: 1:00 p.m. EST
- Game weather: 32 °F (0 °C)
- Game attendance: 41,583
- Box Score
|New York Jets||7||7||0||.500||6–2||6–5||367||324||L2|
|New England Patriots||3||11||0||.214||0–8||0–11||192||446||L1|
Awards and honors
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Saban had coached the Bills from 1962–1965 before leaving for the University of Maryland
- Pro-Football-Reference.com: O.J. Simpson
- Behind the Giants' Ron Johnson, Pro-Football-Reference.com: 1972 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards
- Neft, David S.; Cohen, Richard M.; and Korch, Rich The Sports Encyclopedia: Pro Football, 12th Edition, p. 234, Martin's Press, August 1994, ISBN 0-312-11073-1
- It was Simpson's first of four rushing titles over the next five seasons.
- Out of 26 teams, Pro-Football-Reference.com: 1972 NFL Standings, Team & Offensive Statistics
- Pro-Football-Reference.com: 1972 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics
- 1973 All-Pro Team
- Buffalo Bills 1972 NFL Draft
- Wallace, William N. (October 17, 1972). "Morrall perfectly cast as Griese's substitute". New York Times. p. 51.
- "Broncos deal end to Bills". Schenectady Gazette. (New York). Associated Press. October 17, 1972. p. 28.
- 1972 Buffalo Bills Schedule
- Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2014-Nov-27.