|1971 Cotton Bowl Classic|
|Date||January 1, 1971|
|MVP||Steve Worster (Texas FB)|
Bob Olson (Notre Dame LB)
|Favorite||Texas by 7 points|
|United States TV coverage|
The 1971 Cotton Bowl Classic was the 34th edition of the college football bowl game, played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, on Friday, January 1. A rematch from the previous year, the undefeated and top-ranked Texas Longhorns of the Southwest Conference were upset by the independent Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 24–11.
Texas was coached by Darrell Royal, and the captains for the Longhorns were Scott Henderson, Steve Worster, Bobby Wuensch and Bill Zapalac. The team also featured Jerry Sisemore at tackle and Jim Bertelsen at running back.
After Texas' initial field goal, Notre Dame scored 21 straight points. Texas scored in the second quarter and Notre Dame added a field goal to lead 24–11 at halftime. Parseghian's defense held the Longhorn wishbone offense in check the rest of the game and the second half was scoreless. Texas committed six turnovers (five fumbles and an interception) while Notre Dame had only two turnovers.
It ended the Longhorns' 30-game winning streak, which is currently (as of October 2011) the 12th longest winning streak in NCAA Division I records. Notre Dame had defeated Oklahoma in 1957 to end their 47-game win streak.
Texas had been selected as the national champion by the UPI Coaches' Poll, whose final edition was then released at the end of the regular season, prior to bowl games. After a similar occurrence in 1973, the Coaches Poll released its final edition after the bowl games, starting with the 1974 season.
- "Texas' eyes on destiny". Milwaukee Sentinel. UPI. January 1, 1971. p. 1, part 2.
- "Texas aims to prove it rates No. 1 spot". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. January 1, 1971. p. 27.
- Jenkins, Dan (January 11, 1971). "The one-day season". Sports Illustrated. p. 10.
- "Irish snap Texas' streak". Milwaukee Journal. wire services. January 2, 1971. p. 15.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2011-10-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Notre Dame upsets Texas in Cotton Bowl". Wilmington Morning Star. (North Carolina). UPI. January 2, 1971. p. 14.
- "Irish defense spills Texas". Spokane Daily Chronicle. (Washington). Associated Press. January 2, 1971. p. 10.
- "Revenge-minded Irish top Texas". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. January 2, 1971. p. 1B.
- "Texas first in final UPI poll". Reading Eagle. (Pennsylvania). UPI. December 8, 1970. p. 30.