|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
- Historic American Engineering Record surveys the original main line of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
- June - Wreck of Spanish Armada ship El Gran Grifón off Fair Isle excavated by Colin Martin and Sydney Wignall.
- Joint British Museum, Harvard University and University of Cambridge project begins at Maya site of Lubaantun under leadership of Norman Hammond.
- Five-year project at Altun Ha, led by Dr. David Pendergast of the Royal Ontario Museum, ends.
- Retrieval of artefacts from wreck of Batavia off Western Australia begins.
- Joint Archaeological Survey of India and University of Cambridge excavations at Malvan in Gujarat.
- Alepotrypa cave in Greece.
- P. V. Glob - Hojfolket: Bronzealderens mennesker bevaret i 3000 år (The Mound People: Danish bronze-age man preserved).
- July - Heilongjiang hand cannon, dating from c. 1288, discovered by Wei Guozhong in Manchuria.
- October 21 - Loose timber from the wreck of the Tudor warship Mary Rose found in the Solent off the coast of England.
- First Botorrita plaque.
- Sweet Track discovered by John Sweet in the Somerset Levels of England.
- Blackfriars Ships III and IV discovered by Peter Marsden in London.
- Submarine CSS H. L. Hunley (sunk in action 1864) is claimed to be located in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, by E. Lee Spence.
- Buckquoy spindle-whorl, dating from the Early Middle Ages, probably the 8th century, excavated in Buckquoy, Birsay, Orkney, Scotland; notable because of its Ogham inscription.
- July 12 - Thor Heyerdahl's papyrus boat Ra II arrives in Barbados after a 57-day voyage from Morocco.
- Butser Ancient Farm set up as an experimental archaeology site by the Council for British Archaeology.