This article does not cite any sources. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Regional assemblies of Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto, Liguria, Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, Marche, Umbria, Lazio, Campania, Molise, Abruzzo, Apulia, Basilicata and Calabria
The Italian regional elections of 1970 were held on 7 and 8 June. Even if the regional system was conceived by the Italian Constitution in 1948, the five autonomous regions were the sole to be immediately established. The fifteen ordinary regions were indeed created in 1970 with the first elections.
The pure party-list proportional representation had traditionally become the electoral system of Italy, and it was adopted for the regional vote too. Each Italian province corresponded to a constituency electing a group of candidates. At constituency level, seats were divided between open lists using the largest remainder method with Droop quota. Remaining votes and seats were transferred at regional level, where they were divided using the Hare quota, and automatically distributed to best losers into the local lists.
|Christian Democracy (DC)||10,303,236||37.8||287|
|Italian Communist Party (PCI)||7,586,983||27.9||200|
|Italian Socialist Party (PSI)||2,837,451||10.4||67|
|Unitary Socialist Party (PSU)||1,897,034||7.0||41|
|Italian Social Movement (MSI)||1,621,180||5.9||34|
|Italian Liberal Party (PLI)||1,290,715||4.8||27|
|Italian Socialist Party of Proletarian Unity (PSIUP)||878,697||3.2||16|
|Italian Republican Party (PRI)||787,011||2.9||18|
|Italian Democratic Party of Monarchist Unity (PDIUM)||195,373||0.7||2|
Twelve Regional Councils elected an administration led by Christian Democracy in a centrist alliance, while Emilia-Romagna, Umbria and Tuscany chose a leftist administration, the first two regions led by the PCI and the other one by the PSI.
Results by region
- 1970 Abruzzo regional election
- 1970 Apulian regional election
- 1970 Basilicata regional election
- 1970 Calabrian regional election
- 1970 Campania regional election
- 1970 Emilia-Romagna regional election
- 1970 Lazio regional election
- 1970 Ligurian regional election
- 1970 Lombard regional election
- 1970 Marche regional election
- 1970 Molise regional election
- 1970 Piedmontese regional election
- 1970 Tuscan regional election
- 1970 Umbrian regional election
- 1970 Venetian regional election
- "Regional elections". La Stampa. 1975-06-19.