|1968 Buffalo Bills season|
|Head coach||Joe Collier and Harvey Johnson|
|Home field||War Memorial Stadium|
|Division place||5th AFL Eastern|
|Playoff finish||did not qualify|
The 1968 Buffalo Bills season was the team’s ninth season.
The Bills' 1–12–1 record in 1968 (a 0.107 winning percentage) is the second-worst in team history: the 1971 Bills went 1–13. They were one of only two teams in AFL history (the other being the 1962 Oakland Raiders) to finish the season with only one victory.
The Bills, coming off a 4–10 season in 1967, fired coach Joe Collier after an 0–2 start in 1968. Defensive backfield coach Harvey Johnson was promoted to interim head coach, where he went 1–10–1 to finish the year.
The majority of Buffalo's games were started by backup quarterback Dan Darragh, after injuries claimed the seasons of long-time starter Jack Kemp and new addition Tom Flores. Even Darragh and new addition Kay Stephenson were injured. Ultimately, running back Ed Rutkowski, who hadn't played the quarterback position since college six years prior, ended up starting at quarterback for the Bills.
Buffalo's only win of the season was a home victory over the New York Jets, in which the Bills held a 16-point lead in the fourth quarter before giving up two late touchdowns to the Jets. Ultimately, the Bills were able to hold on to the two-point win.
- August 24: Bills sign fullback Wayne Patrick.
- August 27: Bills acquire quarterback (and future Bills head coach) Kay Stephenson from the San Diego Chargers for a Fifth Round Pick.
- August 28: Bills acquire fullback Bob Cappadona from the Boston Patriots for a ninth round draft pick.
- September 2: The Bills cut running backs Wray Carlton, wide receiver Ed Rutkowski (who would return later in the season), tight end Charley Ferguson and defensive tackle Dudley Meredith.
|1968 Buffalo Bills staff|
|1968 Buffalo Bills roster|
|1||August 5||Detroit Lions||W 13–9||1–0||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|2||August 11||Miami Dolphins||T 28–28||1–0–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|3||August 17||Cincinnati Bengals||L 6–10||1–1–1||Nippert Stadium||Recap|
|4||August 23||Houston Oilers||L 7–37||1–2–1||Astrodome||Recap|
|5||August 30||Cleveland Browns||L 12–22||1–3–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|1||September 8||Boston Patriots||L 7–16||0–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|2||September 15||Oakland Raiders||L 6–48||0–2||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|3||September 22||at Cincinnati Bengals||L 23–34||0–3||Nippert Stadium||Recap|
|4||September 29||New York Jets||W 37–35||1–3||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|5||October 5||Kansas City Chiefs||L 7–18||1–4||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|6||October 12||at Miami Dolphins||T 14–14||1–4–1||Miami Orange Bowl||Recap|
|7||October 20||at Boston Patriots||L 6–23||1–5–1||Fenway Park||Recap|
|8||October 27||Houston Oilers||L 7–30||1–6–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|9||November 3||at New York Jets||L 21–25||1–7–1||Shea Stadium||Recap|
|10||November 10||Miami Dolphins||L 17–23||1–8–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|11||November 17||San Diego Chargers||L 6–21||1–9–1||War Memorial Stadium||Recap|
|12||November 24||at Denver Broncos||L 32–34||1–10–1||Mile High Stadium||Recap|
|13||November 28||at Oakland Raiders||L 10-13||1–11–1||Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum||Recap|
|14||December 7||at Houston Oilers||L 6–35||1–12–1||Astrodome||Recap|
|AFL Eastern Division|
|New York Jets||11||3||0||.786||7–1||419||280||W4|
Note: Tie games were not officially counted in the standings until 1972.
Week 12 vs. Raiders
- Date: November 28
- Game weather: 54 °F (12 °C) • Wind 5
- Game attendance: 39,883
Awards and Records
- Johnson would be promoted to head coach again before the 1971 season
- Johnson resumed his defensive coaching duties under John Rauch in 1969, but would later be promoted to head coach again for one year in 1971.
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.393, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0
- [Neft, David S.; Cohen, Richard M.; and Korch, Rich The Sports Encyclopedia: Pro Football, 12th Edition, p.144, Martin's Press, August 1994, ISBN 0-312-11073-1
- Pro-Football-Reference: New York Jets 35 at Buffalo Bills 37, Sunday, September 29, 1968
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.392, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.513, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0