|Dates||June 30 – July 3, 1966|
|Course(s)||Hazeltine National Golf Club|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,325 yards (5,784 m)|
|Field||99: 52 pros, 47 amateurs;|
44 after cut
Sandra Spuzich, age 29, won her only major title, a stroke ahead of runner-up Carol Mann, the defending champion. A stroke back in third was four-time champion Mickey Wright. Spuzich was the 54-hole leader by a stroke over the two former champions and played in the final pair with Mann. It was the first of seven victories on the LPGA Tour for Spuzich.
The 36-hole cut at 162 (+18) reduced the field of 99 to 44, which included ten amateurs.
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Carol Mann||United States||1965||73||78||75||72||298||+10||2|
|Mickey Wright||United States||1958, 1959,
|Mary Mills||United States||1963||79||73||76||80||308||+20||8|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||80||81||80||74||315||+27||T18|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949, 1952||83||78||80||80||321||+33||32|
Sunday, July 3, 1966
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Sandra Spuzich||United States||75-74-76-72=297||+9||4,000|
|2||Carol Mann||United States||73-78-75-72=298||+10||2,000|
|3||Mickey Wright||United States||71-78-77-73=299||+11||1,200|
|4||Clifford Ann Creed||United States||76-75-76-76=303||+15||900|
|T5||Sandra Haynie||United States||79-75-78-74=306||+18||750|
|Kathy Whitworth||United States||80-74-76-76=306|
|7||Judy Torluemke||United States||77-78-79-73=307||+19||600|
|8||Mary Mills||United States||79-73-76-80=308||+20||550|
|T9||Barbara Romack||United States||80-77-77-77=311||+23||446|
|Gloria Ehret||United States||82-75-75-79=311|
|Peggy Wilson||United States||76-76-81-78=311|
|Shirley Englehorn||United States||83-77-75-76=311|
|Susie Maxwell||United States||80-79-75-77=311|
|Shelley Hamlin (a)||United States||81-74-80-76=311||0|
- Liska, Jerry (July 1, 1966). "Mickey Wright fires 71 to take lead U.S. Women's Open golf". Schenectady Gazette. New York. Associated Press. p. 21.
- "Wright tied by S. Spuzich in US Open". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. July 2, 1966. p. 2, part 2.
- "Miss Spuzich ties Mickey; Peg slips but makes cut". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. July 2, 1966. p. 8.
- "Nerveless Sandra Spuzich wins U.S. Women's Open". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. July 4, 1966. p. 8.
- Golf Observer final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1966
- Hazeltine National Golf Club