|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1965 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- Start of five-year project of excavations and restorations at Altun Ha led by Dr. David Pendergast of the Royal Ontario Museum.
- Start of 18-year excavations at Roman Baths (Bath) led by Barry Cunliffe.
- Hinton St Mary Mosaic in England.
- Excavations at Brahmagiri by Amalananda Ghosh.
- Further excavations at the Roman temple of Bziza by Harutune Kalayan.
- The final version of the 33-metre-high (108 ft) Tikal Temple 33 at the ancient Maya city of Tikal in Guatemala is completely dismantled by archaeologists.
- March 19 - Wreck of the SS Georgiana is discovered off Charleston, South Carolina, exactly 102 years after her sinking, by E. Lee Spence.
- June - Jutholmen wreck (sunk c.1700) is discovered off Dalarö, Sweden.
- August - Mosaic floor at Sparsholt Roman Villa, Hampshire, England.
- November - Kyrenia ship is found near Kyrenia, Cyprus.
- December - Sword of Goujian is found in Jiangling County, China.
- Geologist Nikolai Samorukov finds petroglyphs in the rocks at Kaikuul Bluff overlooking the Pegtymel River in Chukotka Autonomous Okrug, Russia.
- Group of gold and silver vessels found at Tepe Fullol in northern Afghanistan.
- Mammoth remains found at Mezhirich, Ukraine.
- Fir Clump Stone Circle in Wiltshire, England, rediscovered.
- R. G. Collingwood and R. P. Wright - The Roman Inscriptions of Britain, vol. 1.
- P. V. Glob - Mosefolket Jernalderens Mennesker bevaret i 2000 Ar (The Bog People: Iron-Age man preserved).
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2012)
- July 14 - Herbert Maryon, British conservator (b. 1874).
- October 5 - Sir Ian Richmond, British archaeologist of Ancient Rome (b. 1902).
- Warner, Eugene (April 1970). "Diver Lee Spence". Sandlapper. Columbia, SC: 40–43.
- Hatch, Katherine (February–March 1972). "Treasure Diver". Treasure World: 44–45.
- Rooney, Kevin (March 1980). "Wreck of the Georgianna [sic]". Skin Diver. Los Angeles: 80–81, 86–87.
- "The Jutholmen wreck". Sjöhistoriska. Retrieved 2018-10-09.