|Dates||July 1–4, 1965|
|Location||Northfield, New Jersey|
|Course(s)||Atlantic City Country Club|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,220 yards (5,688 m)|
|Field||82 players, 41 after cut|
Carol Mann, age 24, won her only U.S. Women's Open, two strokes ahead of runner-up Kathy Cornelius, the 1956 champion. It was the second of Mann's two major championships, who had an opening round of 78 (+6); at the 72nd hole on Sunday, she needed a par to win and made a birdie.
This was the first U.S. Women's Open scheduled for four days since 1952, with the final round on Sunday. From 1953 through 1964, the third and fourth rounds were both played on Saturday; the U.S. Open also moved its final round to Sunday in 1965. The purse was substantially increased, with a winner's share of $4,000, up from $2,200 in 1964.
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Kathy Cornelius||United States||1956||71||75||77||69||292||+4||2|
|Mary Mills||United States||1963||76||76||70||73||295||+7||4|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949, 1952||76||77||71||76||300||+12||8|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||79||77||80||73||309||+21||T21|
|Betsy Rawls||United States||1951, 1953,
- Mickey Wright (1958, 1959, 1961 1964) withdrew the night before the first round, due to injury.
Sunday, July 4, 1965
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Carol Mann||United States||78-70-70-72=290||+2||4,000|
|2||Kathy Cornelius||United States||71-75-77-69=292||+4||2,000|
|3||Marilynn Smith||United States||75-74-74-71=294||+6||1,200|
|4||Mary Mills||United States||76-76-70-73=295||+7||900|
|T5||Susie Maxwell||United States||75-75-75-71=296||+8||800|
|Helen Sigel Wilson (a)||United States||78-72-75-71=296||0|
|7||Ruth Jessen||United States||77-76-71-75=299||+11||700|
|8||Louise Suggs||United States||76-77-71-76=300||+12||600|
|9||Margee Masters||United States||81-74-79-67=301||+13||550|
|T10||Clifford Ann Creed||United States||77-76-76-73=302||+14||485|
|Judy Torluemke||United States||76-74-72-80=302|
- "Cathy cops lead on torrid putting". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. July 2, 1965. p.��16.
- "Kathy Cornelius keeps Open lead". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. July 3, 1965. p. 8.
- Brown, Gwilym S. (July 12, 1965). "Carol is the ladies' Mann". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Carol Mann new women's champ". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. July 5, 1965. p. 8.
- "Carol Mann wins US Women's Open". Wilmington Morning Star. UPI. July 5, 1965. p. 12.
- Golf Observer final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1965
- Atlantic City Country Club