|1964 Idaho Vandals football|
|Defensive coordinator||Steve Musseau (3rd season)|
|Home stadium||Neale Stadium|
|1964 NCAA University Division independents football records|
|No. 3 Notre Dame||–||9||–||1||–||0|
|New Mexico State||–||6||–||4||–||0|
|West Texas State||–||4||–||6||–||0|
|San Jose State||–||4||–||6||–||0|
|Rankings from AP Poll|
The 1964 Idaho Vandals football team represented the University of Idaho in the 1964 NCAA University Division football season. The Vandals were led by third-year head coach Dee Andros and were an independent in the NCAA's University Division. Home games were played on campus at Neale Stadium in Moscow, with one home game in Boise at old Bronco Stadium at Boise Junior College.
Led on the field by quarterback Mike Monahan and sophomore fullback Ray McDonald, the Vandals won 28–13 in the Battle of the Palouse with neighbor Washington State, the first win in a decade, and the last in Idaho. The Cougars were led by first-year head coach Bert Clark, a former teammate of Andros at Oklahoma. The Vandals split the final four games to finish at 4���6.
Although Idaho was a charter member of the new Big Sky Conference, it did not participate in football until 1965, and was an independent from 1959 through 1964. They did not play any Big Sky teams in 1964 and all ten opponents were in the University Division; only two games were played on campus in Moscow, the latter was the win over neighboring WSU on October 24.
Although the Vandals finished with a losing record, they played the four Arizona and Oregon schools close, allowing less than fifteen points to each. Andros left Idaho after the season for Oregon State, where he coached for eleven seasons and then became athletic director. Defensive coach Steve Musseau succeeded him as head coach at Idaho.
|September 19||7:00 pm||at San Jose State||W 3–0||17,000|
|September 26||11:30 am||at Iowa||L 24–34||43,300|
|October 3||7:15 pm||at Utah||L 0–22||19,499|
|October 10||1:30 pm||Oregon||L 8–14||11,000|
|October 17||1:30 pm||at Oregon State||L 7–10||13,527|
|October 24||1:30 pm||Washington State||W 28–13||18,600|
|October 31||8:00 pm||at Pacific||W 40–0||7,500|
|November 7||1:30 pm||at Arizona||L 7–14||21,500|
|November 14||12:30 pm||Utah State||W 27–22||10,500|
|November 21||7:00 pm||at Arizona State||L 0–14||22,613|
|1964 Idaho Vandals football team roster|
One senior was selected in the 1965 NFL Draft, which lasted twenty rounds (280 selections).
|Max Leetzow||DE||14th||191||Minnesota Vikings|
- Selected in the fifth round of the AFL draft (35th overall), Leetzow played two seasons with the Denver Broncos.
Four juniors were selected in the 1966 NFL Draft, which lasted twenty rounds (305 selections).
|Dick Arndt||DT||5th||77||Los Angeles Rams|
|Ray Miller||DE||7th||108||Green Bay Packers|
|LaVerle Pratt||LB||14th||210||St. Louis Cardinals|
|Joe Dobson||T||15th||218||Pittsburgh Steelers|
|Ray McDonald||RB||1st||13||Washington Redskins|
|Ron Porter||LB||5th||126||Baltimore Colts|
|John Foruria||QB||8th||192||Pittsburgh Steelers|
|Tim Lavens||TE||9th||212||New Orleans Saints|
- Missildine, Harry (October 25, 1964). "'Thunder Ray' leads Idaho's charge". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. p. 1-sports.
- Payne, Bob (September 21, 1964). "Idaho defeated Spartans without usual electronics". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. p. 9.
- "Iowa trims stubborn Idaho, 34-24". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. Associated Press. September 27, 1964. p. 11.
- "Utah tops Idaho in second half". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. Associated Press. October 4, 1964. p. 10.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (October 11, 1964). "Oregon wins a squeaker, OSU a shocker". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. p. 1B.
- Leutzinger, Dick (October 18, 1964). "Espalin's run the difference". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. p. 2B.
- "OSU tips Vandals on punt return tally". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. October 19, 1964. p. 11.
- "Idaho coasts to 40-0 victory over outclassed Pacific". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. November 1, 1964. p. 14.
- "Arizona scores in final minute to nip Idaho 14-7". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. November 8, 1964. p. 9.
- "Scott's interception save Idaho win over Utah State". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. November 15, 1964. p. 8.
- "Arizona State trims Idaho Vandals 14-0". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. November 22, 1964. p. 8.
- "Ducks vs. Vandals: rosters". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). October 10, 1964. p. 8.
- "WSU versus Idaho". Spokane Daily Chronicle. (Washington). October 23, 1964. p. 16.
- Missildine, Harry (October 24, 1964). "Speed, force collide in annual Palouse battle". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). p. 9.
- Gem of the Mountains: 1965 University of Idaho yearbook – 1964 football season
- Go Mighty Vandals – 1964 football season
- Idaho Argonaut – student newspaper – 1964 editions