|1964 Detroit Lions season|
|Head coach||George Wilson|
|Owner||William Clay Ford, Sr.|
|Home field||Tiger Stadium|
|Division place||4th NFL Western|
|Playoff finish||did not qualify|
- On January 21, William Clay Ford, Lions president since 1961, purchased the team.
- On March 16, Lions Defensive Tackle Alex Karras was reinstated by Pete Rozelle after being suspended for betting.
|2||20||Matt Snorton||Tight End||Michigan State|
|1||September 13||at San Francisco 49ers||W 26–17||1–0–0|
|2||September 19||at Los Angeles Rams||T 17–17||1–0–1|
|3||September 28||Green Bay Packers||L 10–14||1–1–1|
|4||October 4||New York Giants||W 26–3||2–1–1|
|5||October 11||at Minnesota Vikings||W 24–20||3–1–1|
|6||October 18||at Chicago Bears||W 10–0||4–1–1|
|7||October 25||Baltimore Colts||L 0–34||4–2–1|
|8||November 1||Los Angeles Rams||W 37–17||5–2–1|
|9||November 8||at Green Bay Packers||L 7–30||5–3–1|
|10||November 15||at Cleveland Browns||L 21–37||5–4–1|
|11||November 22||Minnesota Vikings||T 23–23||5–4–2|
|12||November 26||Chicago Bears||L 24–27||5–5–2|
|13||December 6||at Baltimore Colts||W 31–14||6–5–2|
|14||December 13||San Francisco 49ers||W 24–7||7–5–2|
- Saturday night (September 19), Monday night (September 28),
Thursday (November 26: Thanksgiving)
Week 10: at Cleveland Browns
Cleveland Browns 37, Detroit Lions 21
- Date: November 15
- Game time: 1:30 p.m. EST
- Game weather: 51 °F (11 °C), relative humidity 60%, wind 9 mph (14 km/h)
- Game attendance: 83,064
- TV announcers (CBS): Van Patrick (DET) (second half) and Ken Coleman (CLE) (first half) (play-by-play), Jim Morse (DET) (second half) and Warren Lahr (CLE) (first half) (color commentators)
|NFL Western Conference|
|Green Bay Packers||8||5||1||.615||6–5–1||342||245||T1|
|Los Angeles Rams||5||7||2||.417||3–7–2||283||339||T1|
|San Francisco 49ers||4||10||0||.286||3–9||236||330||L1|
Note: Tie games were not officially counted in the standings until 1972.
|Detroit Lions roster|
Rookies in italics
Awards and records
- Terry Barr, Outstanding Lineman, Pro Bowl 
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book, Workman Publishing Co, New York, NY, ISBN 0-7611-2480-2, p.282
- Lea, Bud (September 28, 1964). "54,000 to see Pack, Lions". Milwaukee Sentinel. p. 3, part 2.
- Lea, Bud (September 29, 1964). "Packers whip stubborn Lions". Milwaukee Sentinel. p. 2, part 2.
- "Lions rally to gain standoff with Rams". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. September 20, 1964. p. 2B.
- "Bears shade Lions by 27-24". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. November 27, 1964. p. 3B.
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book, Workman Publishing Co, New York,NY, ISBN 0-7611-2480-2, p. 368