|Dates||July 18–20, 1963|
|Course(s)||Kenwood Country Club|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,444 yards (5,892 m)|
|Field||40 after cut|
Mary Mills, age 23, won her only U.S. Women's Open title, three strokes ahead of runners-up Louise Suggs and Sandra Haynie. It was the first of nine victories on the LPGA Tour for Mills and the first of her three major titles.
Retired tennis pro Althea Gibson, age 35, became the first African American to play in a U.S. Women's Open. She shot 78 and 82 for 160 (+14) and missed the cut by a stroke. Three-time champion Mickey Wright did not play, opting for dental work, which she had originally planned to have done the previous week. Wright returned in 1964 to win her fourth title. Defending champion Murle Lindstrom tied for seventh.
The championship was played the same week as the PGA Championship, which concluded on Sunday.
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949, 1952||72||72||75||73||292||E||T2|
|Kathy Cornelius||United States||1956||76||75||77||75||303||+11||T7|
|Murle Lindstrom||United States||1962||83||75||74||71||303||+11||T7|
|Betty Jameson||United States||1947||75||79||80||75||309||+17||19|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||77||79||78||81||315||+23||T28|
|Betsy Rawls||United States||1951, 1953,
Saturday, July 20, 1963
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Mary Mills||United States||71-70-75-73=289||−3||2,000|
|T2||Louise Suggs||United States||72-72-75-73=292||E||1,000|
|Sandra Haynie||United States||75-72-73-72=292|
|4||Clifford Ann Creed||United States||71-75-78-74=298||+6||650|
|T5||Kathy Whitworth||United States||75-74-80-73=302||+10||450|
|Ruth Jessen||United States||72-78-77-75=302|
|T7||Kathy Cornelius||United States||76-75-77-75=303||+11||313|
|Mary Lena Faulk||United States||75-73-76-79=303|
|Murle Lindstrom||United States||83-75-74-71=303|
|Patsy Hahn||United States||74-73-78-78=303|
- Harrison, Harold (July 19, 1963). "Two share gals' lead". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. p. 15.
- "Mary ties mark, leads gals' Open". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. July 20, 1963. p. 8.
- "Open captured by Marry Mills". Toledo Blade. Ohio. Associated Press. July 21, 1963. p. 1C.
- "Mills wins Open title". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. Associated Press. July 21, 1963. p. 2B.
- "Mills leads ladies' Open". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. Associated Press. July 20, 1963. p. 2B.
- "Althea Gibson to play pro golf circuit". Spartanburg Herald. South Carolina. Associated Press. December 13, 1963. p. 27.
- "Dental work sidelines Mickey". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 13, 1963. p. 10.
- "Miss Wright missing in Open golf". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 18, 1963. p. 28.
- "Mickey set to continue pro tour". Schenectady Gazette. New York. Associated Press. July 11, 1963. p. 35.
- Golf Observer final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1963
- Kenwood Country Club