|1963 Oregon Webfoots football|
Sun Bowl champion
|Home stadium||Hayward Field|
Multnomah Stadium (Portland)
|1963 NCAA University Division independents football records|
|No. 4 Pittsburgh||–||9||–||1||–||0|
|No. 2 Navy||–||9||–||2||–||0|
|San Jose State||–||5||–||5||–||0|
|West Texas State||–||4||–||4||–||1|
|New Mexico State||–||3||–||6||–||1|
|Rankings from AP Poll|
The 1963 Oregon Webfoots represented the University of Oregon in the 1963 NCAA University Division football season. The Webfoots were an independent and outscored their opponents 274 to 153. Led by thirteenth-year head coach Len Casanova, the Ducks were 7–3 in the regular season and won the Sun Bowl over SMU on New Year's Eve. Three home games were played on campus at Hayward Field in Eugene and three at Multnomah Stadium in Portland.
Notable players included Mel Renfro, Dave Wilcox, H.D. Murphy, and Bob Berry, all selected in the 1964 NFL Draft. Berry was a redshirt junior and played another season for Oregon in 1964. Renfro and Wilcox are members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Murphy was selected late and never played in the NFL; he played in the up-and-coming Continental Football League.
Following the disbandment of the Pacific Coast Conference, both Oregon and Oregon State were independent in football for five seasons, from 1959 through 1963. Both joined the AAWU (Pac-8) for the 1964 season. The Pac-8 had bowl restrictions (Rose Bowl only) until 1975; the Ducks' next postseason appearance was at the 1989 Independence Bowl.
|September 21||8:00 pm||Penn State||L 7–17||30,355|
|September 28||1:30 pm||at Stanford||W 36–7||31,000|
|October 5||11:30 am||at West Virginia||W 35–0||24,000|
|October 12||1:30 pm||Idaho||W 41–21||19,200|
|October 19||1:30 pm||at Arizona||W 28–12||16,000|
|October 26||2:00 pm||Washington||L 19–26||35,690|
|November 2||1:30 pm||San Jose State||L 7–13||14,000|
|November 9||1:30 pm||at Washington State||W 21–7||13,000|
|November 16||1:30 pm||Indiana||W 28–22||19,051|
|November 30||1:30 pm||Oregon State||W 31–14||20,700|
|December 31||1:00 pm||vs. SMU||W 21–14||26,500|
- QB Bob Berry, Jr.
- FB Lu Bain, Sr.
- HB Larry Hill, Sr.
- E Dick Imwalle, Sr.
- HB Dennis Keller, So.
- HB H.D. Murphy, Sr.
- HB Mel Renfro, Sr.
- E Rich Schwab, Sr.
- QB Jack Sovereign, So.
- G Dave Wilcox, Sr.
Four Oregon players were selected in the 1964 NFL Draft, which went twenty rounds (280 selections).
|Mel Renfro||Defensive back||2||17||Dallas Cowboys|
|Dave Wilcox||Linebacker||3||29||San Francisco 49ers|
|Bob Berry||Quarterback||11||142||Philadelphia Eagles|
|H.D. Murphy||Halfback||19||256||Dallas Cowboys|
- "Oregon's fast start trips SMU, 21-14". Milwaukee Sentinel. UPI. January 1, 1964. p. 8, part 2.
- "Berry leads Ducks to sunny 21-14 win". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. January 1, 1964. p. 13.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (January 1, 1964). "Berry leads Oregon to 21-14 Sun Bowl win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- "Four Webfoots drafted by NFL". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. AP, UPI reports. December 3, 1963. p. 1B.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (September 22, 1963). "Penn State outpunches Oregon in opener, 17-7". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. p. 1B.
- "Ducks dump Mountaineers". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. October 6, 1963. p. 4, sports.
- Leutzinger, Dick (October 13, 1963). "Renfro leads Oregon to win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (September 22, 1963). "Game almost had a storybook climax". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. p. 3B.
- Leutzinger, Dick (November 3, 1963). "Helpless Ducks fall, 13-7". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. p. 1B.
- Leutzinger, Dick (November 10, 1963). "Oregon rebounds against WSU to win, 21-7". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. p. 1B.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (November 17, 1963). "Murphy's catch brings Oregon 28-22 win". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. p. 1B.
- "31-14". Eugene Register=Guard. Oregon. December 1, 1963. p. 1B.
- "Events postponed, cancelled". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. Associated Press. November 23, 1963. p. 1B.
- Missildine, Harry (November 24, 1963). "Big Six presidents commended for action". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. p. 1, sports.
- "Probable starting lineups". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). September 21, 1963. p. 1B.
- "Ore. vs. Wash. State". Spokane Daily Chronicle. (Washington). (rosters). November 8, 1963. p. 11.
- "Ducks vs. Cougars". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). (rosters). November 9, 1963. p. 8.