|1962 Iowa Hawkeyes football|
|Conference||Big Ten Conference|
|1962 record||4–5 (3–3 Big Ten)|
|Home stadium||Iowa Stadium|
|1962 Big Ten football standings|
|No. 2 Wisconsin $||6||–||1||–||0||8||–||2||–||0|
|No. 10 Minnesota||5||–||2||–||0||6||–||2||–||1|
Rankings from AP Poll
The 1962 Iowa Hawkeyes football team was an American football team that represented the University of Iowa in the 1962 Big Ten Conference football season. In its second season under head coach Jerry Burns, the Hawkeyes compiled a 4–5 record (3–3 against Big Ten opponents), tied for fifth place in the Big Ten, and were outscored by opponents by a total of 166 to 127. The team played its home games at Iowa Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa.
Halfback Larry Ferguson was the team captain and was also selected as the team's most valuable player. The team's statistical leaders included quarterback Matt Szykowny with 737 passing yards, Larry Ferguson with 547 rushing yards, Paul Krause with 214 receiving yards, and Cloyd Webb with 12 points scored. Three Hawkeyes were recognized by the Associated Press (AP) and/or the United Press International (UPI) on the 1962 All-Big Ten Conference football team: Larry Ferguson (AP-2, UPI-1); guard Earl McQuiston (UPI-2); and guard Wally Hilgenberg (AP-3).
|September 29||Oregon State*||W 28–8|
|October 6||No. 6 USC*||L 0–7|
|October 13||at Indiana||W 14–10|
|October 20||at No. 10 Wisconsin||L 14–42|
|October 27||Purdue||L 3–26|
|November 3||Ohio State||W 28–14|
|November 10||at No. 10 Minnesota||L 0–10|
|November 17||Michigan||W 28–14||52,880|||
|November 24||at Notre Dame*||L 12–35|
|1962 Iowa Hawkeyes football team roster|
1963 NFL Draft
|Earl McQuiston||Guard||10||140||Green Bay Packers|
|Bill Perkins||Running back||12||160||Dallas Cowboys|
|Joe Williams||Back||14||194||New York Giants|
|Matt Szykowny||Back||15||207||Pittsburgh Steelers|
- "1962 Iowa Hawkeyes Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- "1962 Iowa Hawkeyes Stats". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- "Gophers Ring the Bell". The Blade, Toledo, Ohio (AP story). November 27, 1962. p. 24.
- Joe Mooshil (November 27, 1962). "Spartans Saimes and Behrman Get All-Big Ten Team Berths; Bell-Richter, Unanimous". The Owosso Argus-Press (AP story).
- "Pick Big Ten All-Star Squad". Galesburg Register-Mail. November 27, 1962. p. 12.
- Leighton Housh (November 18, 1962). "Hawkeyes Beat Michigan, 28-14". The Des Moines Register. pp. 1S, 8S – via Newspapers.com.
- "Hawkeyes Need To Improve for USC" (PDF). The Daily Iowan. October 2, 1962. p. 4. Retrieved August 14, 2018.