|1959 Michigan State Spartans football|
|Conference||Big Ten Conference|
|1959 record||5–4 (4–2 Big Ten)|
|Home stadium||Spartan Stadium |
|1959 Big Ten Conference football standings|
|No. 6 Wisconsin $||5||–||2||–||0||7||–||3||–||0|
|No. 13 Illinois||4||–||2||–||1||5||–||3||–||1|
Rankings from AP Poll
The 1959 Michigan State Spartans football team represented Michigan State University in the 1959 Big Ten Conference football season. In their sixth season under head coach Duffy Daugherty, the Spartans compiled a 5–4 overall record (4–3 against Big Ten opponents), finished in second place in the Big Ten Conference, and were ranked #16 in the final Coaches Poll.
Quarterback Dean Look was selected by the Associated Press (AP) as a first-team player on the 1959 All-Big Ten Conference football team. Three other Spartans were selected for the third team: halfback Herb Adderly; tackle Palmer Pyle; and center Dave Manders.
The 1959 Spartans won all three of their annual rivalry games. In the annual Indiana–Michigan State football rivalry game, the Spartans defeated the Hoosiers by a 14 to 6 score. In the Notre Dame rivalry game, the Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish by a 19 to 0 score. And, in the annual Michigan–Michigan State football rivalry game, the Spartans defeated the Wolverines by a 34 to 8 score.
|September 26||Texas A&M*||L 7–9|
|October 3||at Michigan||W 34–8||103,234|||
|October 10||at No. 10 Iowa||L 8–37|
|October 17||Notre Dame*||W 19–0|
|October 24||Indiana||W 14–6|
|October 31||at Ohio State||L 24–30|
|November 7||No. 14 Purdue||W 15–0|
|November 14||No. 6 Northwestern||No. 19||W 15–10|
|November 20||at No. 18 Miami (FL)*||No. 11||L 13–18|
- "2016 Football Media Guide" (PDF). Michigan State University. pp. 146, 155. Retrieved June 18, 2017.
- "1959 Michigan State Spartans Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved June 18, 2017.
- Charles Chamberlain (November 24, 1959). "Lanphear Unanimous AP All-Big Ten Choice". The LaCrosse Tribune. p. 12.
- Ed Sainsbury (November 27, 1959). "4 Northwestern gridders make UPI all-Big 10 team; Norton, Jeter place". Globe-Gazette, Mason City, Iowa. p. 12.
- Bob Pille (October 4, 1959). "Spartans Spank 'M' Good!". Detroit Free Press. p. 1E – via Newspapers.com.
|This College football 1950s season article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports team in Michigan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|