|Dates||April 4–7, 1957|
|Course(s)||Augusta National Golf Club|
|Organized by||Augusta National Golf Club|
|Length||6,980 yards (6,383 m)|
|Field||101 players, 40 after cut|
The 1957 Masters Tournament was the 21st Masters Tournament, held April 4–7 at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia. This was the first Masters played with a 36-hole cut. A field of 101 players started in the tournament, and 40 of them made the cut at 150 (+6).
Doug Ford won his only Masters, three strokes ahead of runner-up Sam Snead, a three-time champion. Snead was the third round leader, but could only shoot even-par in a round that included six birdies and six bogeys. Ford was three strokes back after 54 holes, but was bogey-free on Sunday. On the final hole, Ford holed out from the bunker for birdie for his 66 (–6). This was Ford's second and final major title; he also won the 1955 PGA Championship.
This year was the Masters debut of Gary Player, 21, and he finished tied for 24th. He won three Masters, in 1961, 1974, and 1978. Five-time British Open winner Peter Thomson finished fifth, his best career finish in the Masters.
Two-time champion Ben Hogan had finished in the top ten in the last fourteen Masters that he had entered, but had 32 putts on Friday and missed the event's first-ever cut by a stroke. It was the only cut he missed at Augusta; in nine more Masters he had three top ten finishes, including his final appearance at age 54 in 1967.
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Sam Snead||United States||1949, 1952, 1954||72||68||74||72||286||−2||2|
|Jimmy Demaret||United States||1940, 1947, 1950||72||70||75||70||287||−1||3|
|Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||1956||71||72||74||74||291||+3||T7|
|Byron Nelson||United States||1937, 1942||74||72||73||76||295||+7||T16|
|Henry Picard||United States||1938||79||71||78||74||302||+14||T35|
|Claude Harmon||United States||1948||78||72||77||76||303||+15||T38|
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Ben Hogan||United States||1951, 1953||76||75||151||+7|
|Cary Middlecoff||United States||1955||79||73||152||+8|
|Gene Sarazen||United States||1935||80||75||155||+11|
|Herman Keiser||United States||1946||80||78||158||+14|
|Craig Wood||United States||1941||72||87||159||+15|
|Horton Smith||United States||1934, 1936||77||82||159||+15|
Thursday, April 4, 1957
|1||Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||71||−1|
|Jimmy Demaret||United States|
|Doug Ford||United States|
|Sam Snead||United States|
|Jerry Barber||United States|
|Ed Furgol||United States|
|Marty Furgol||United States|
|Arnold Palmer||United States|
|Skee Riegel||United States|
|Bud Ward||United States|
|Harvie Ward (a)||United States|
Friday, April 5, 1957
|1||Sam Snead||United States||72-68=140||−4|
|2||Jimmy Demaret||United States||72-70=142||−2|
|3||Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||71-72=143||−1|
|T4||Ed Furgol||United States||73-71=144||E|
|Harvie Ward (a)||United States||73-71=144|
|T6||Doug Ford||United States||72-73=145||+1|
|Jay Hebert||United States||74-72=146|
|Byron Nelson||United States||74-72=146|
|Arnold Palmer||United States||73-73=146|
Saturday, April 6, 1957
|1||Sam Snead||United States||72-68-74=214||−2|
|Arnold Palmer||United States||73-73-69=215|
|Harvie Ward (a)||United States||73-71-71=215|
|5||Ed Furgol||United States||73-71-72=216||E|
|T6||Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||71-72-74=217||+1|
|Jimmy Demaret||United States||72-70-75=217|
|Doug Ford||United States||72-73-72=217|
Sunday, April 7, 1957
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Doug Ford||United States||72-73-72-66=283||−5||8,750|
|2||Sam Snead||United States||72-68-74-72=286||−2||4,375|
|3||Jimmy Demaret||United States||72-70-75-70=287||−1||2,625|
|4||Harvie Ward (a)||United States||73-71-71-73=288||E||0|
|6||Ed Furgol||United States||73-71-72-74=290||+2||1,312|
|T7||Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||71-72-74-74=291||+3||1,137|
|Dow Finsterwald||United States||74-74-73-70=291|
|Arnold Palmer||United States||73-73-69-76=291|
|10||Jay Hebert||United States||74-72-76-70=292||+4||1,005|
Cumulative tournament scores, relative to par
Birdie Bogey Double bogey Triple bogey+
- "Doug Ford's 283 captures Masters golf". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. April 8, 1957. p. 1.
- Bartlett, Charles (April 8, 1957). "Ford takes Masters! Posts 66 for 283". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, part 4.
- Bartlett, Charles (April 7, 1957). "Snead's Masters lead cut to stroke". Chicago Sunday Tribune. p. 1, part 2.
- "Two shots that won the Masters". Sports Illustrated. April 15, 1957. p. 16.
- Grimsley, Will (April 6, 1957). "Stutter putter Ben's downfall". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. p. 13.
- "Snead takes Masters golf lead with 140". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. April 6, 1957. p. 12.
- "Masters golf scores". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. April 6, 1957. p. 12.
- Bartlett, Charles (April 5, 1957). "Masters interrupted; Burke's 71 leads". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, part 4.
- Bartlett, Charles (April 6, 1957). "Snead's 140 leads Masters; Hogan out". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, part 2.
- "Leaders' cards". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. April 8, 1957. p. 26.
- Masters.com – past winners and results
- About.com – 1957 Masters
- Augusta.com – 1957 Masters leaderboard and scorecards