|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
|1780s . 1790s in archaeology . 1800|
|Other events: 1790s . Archaeology timeline|
- Spring: Explorations at Timna in Yemen by Wendell Phillips of the American Foundation for the Study of Man (continues in 1951).
- Excavations at Stonehenge by R. J. C. Atkinson, Stuart Piggott and J. F. S. Stone.
- Excavations at Wharram Percy by Maurice Beresford begin.
- Excavations at Beitin.
- Excavations at Gordium by the University of Pennsylvania Museum under Rodney S. Young begin.
- March 1 - A hoard of Roman coins is discovered at Hordley Grange, Shropshire, England.
- May 8 - A bog body known as "Tollund Man" is discovered in Denmark.
- The Upchurch Hoard is discovered in Upchurch, Kent, England.
- A third premolar is discovered in materials sent back to Sweden by Otto Zdansky from his excavations of the Peking Man site at Zhoukoudian, China in 1921 and 1923.
- Balfarg, a prehistoric site in Fife, Scotland, is discovered through air photography.
- Three Roman mosaic pavements are found at Harpham in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- Stabiae rediscovered.
- The Garima Gospels at Abba Garima Monastery first become known to Western scholars.
- T. C. Lethbridge - Herdsmen and Hermits: Celtic Seafarers in the Northern Seas.
- V. E. Nash-Williams - The Early Christian Monuments of Wales.
- January 25 - Phil Harding, English field archaeologist
- Wafaa El Saddik, Egyptian Egyptologist
- Barbara Tsakirgis, American classical archaeologist
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2017)
- "Who Were the Ancient Bog Mummies? Surprising New Clues". National Geographic. 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Balfarg". canmore.org.uk. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "Herdsmen & hermits; Celtic seafarers in the northern seas". worldcat. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "Nash-Williams, Victor Erle". The National Library of Wales - Dictionary of Welsh Biography. Retrieved 13 November 2017.