1944 in philosophy
- Johannes Vilhelm Jensen was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature "for the rare strength and fertility of his poetic imagination with which is combined an intellectual curiosity of wide scope and a bold, freshly creative style".
- Ernst Cassirer, An Essay on Man (1944)
- Karl Polanyi, The Great Transformation (1944)
- Erwin Schrödinger, What Is Life? (1944)
- Friedrich Hayek, The Road to Serfdom (1944)
- Charles Stevenson, Ethics and Language (1944)
- Jorge Luis Borges, Ficciones (1944) and A New Refutation of Time (1944)
- Jean-Paul Sartre, No Exit (1944)
- July 31 - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (born 1900)
- October 2 - Benjamin Fondane (born 1898)
- December 30 - Romain Rolland (born 1866)
- "The Nobel Prize in Literature 1944 - Johannes V. Jensen". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 18 February 2013.