111 seats in the 16th Legislative Assembly of Ontario
56 seats were needed for a majority
The 1923 Ontario general election was the 16th general election held in the Province of Ontario, Canada. It was held on June 25, 1923, to elect the 111 Members of the 16th Legislative Assembly of Ontario ("MLAs").
The Ontario Conservative Party, led by George Howard Ferguson, was returned to power with a majority in the Legislature as voters rejected the United Farmers of Ontario-Labour coalition government of Ernest C. Drury.
|Party||Leader||1919||Elected||% change||Popular vote|
|Conservative||George Howard Ferguson||25||75||+200%||49.8%||+14.9%|
|United Farmers||Ernest C. Drury||44||17[a][b]||-61.4%||20.9%||-0.8%|
- Politics of Ontario
- List of Ontario political parties
- Premier of Ontario
- Leader of the Opposition (Ontario)
- Though the UFO emerged with the second largest bloc of seats, they were denied Official Opposition status by new Premier Howard Ferguson who used as justification an announcement by UFO general secretary James J. Morrison that the UFO would be withdrawing from party politics.
- David James Taylor was elected as a Liberal-United Farmers MLA in 1919 was re-elected as a straight UFO MLA in 1923.
- Karl Homuth, who was elected as the UFO-Labour MLA for Waterloo South in 1919 was re-elected as a Labour MLA in 1923 and 1927. He would cross the floor to join the Conservative Party in 1929. Morrison MacBride broke with the Labour caucus shortly after the 1919 election in a dispute over its relationship with the UFO and sat in opposition for the entire life of the legislature. He ran for re-election as a "Conservative-Labour" candidate in 1926 though he sat as a Labour MLA after the election.
- Joseph McNamara, MLA for Riverdale listed his political affiliation as "Soldier" in Ontario Legislative Assembly records while Elections Ontario records indicate he was elected as a UFO candidate. He did not run for re-election in 1923 but attempted to regain the Riverdale seat in 1948 as a Liberal candidate and came in third place behind the CCF and the Progressive Conservatives.