This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1920 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- February 1 ��� National Art Gallery opens in Tbilisi.
- November 7 – The "mass action" The Storming of the Winter Palace, directed by Nikolai Evreinov, is staged outside the Winter Palace in Petrograd.
- The Cologne Dadaist group is formed by Jean Arp, Max Ernst and Alfred Grünwald.
- Katherine Dreier, Man Ray and Marcel Duchamp form Société Anonyme.
- Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada set up the Leach Pottery in St Ives, Cornwall.
- Heckscher Museum of Art established in Huntington, New York.
- Latvian Museum of Foreign Art established in Riga.
- Art historian Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler publishes Der Weg Zum Kubismus ("The Rise of Cubism").
- Hans Baluschek – City of Workers
- Cecilia Beaux – portrait of Georges Clemenceau
- Thomas Hart Benton – People of Chilmark (figure composition)
- Pierre Bonnard – Landscape in Normandy
- Alexander Stirling Calder – Swann Memorial Fountain (Philadelphia)
- Sydney Carline – The Destruction of the Turkish Transport in the Gorge of the Wadi Fara, Palestine
- Lovis Corinth – Flowers and Wilhelmine
- Otto Dix – The Match Vendor I
- Max Ernst
- George Frampton – Edith Cavell Memorial (London)
- James Earle Fraser – Frederick Keep Monument (Washington, D.C.)
- Daniel Chester French
- J. W. Godward – A Red, Red Rose
- George Grosz – Republican Automatons
- Richard Jack – The Passing of the Chieftain
- Goscombe John – Equestrian statue of the Viscount Wolseley (London)
- Einar Jónsson – Thorfinn Karlsefni (bronze statue, Philadelphia)
- Eric Kennington – The Victims (retitled The Conquerors)
- Winifred Knights – The Deluge
- Boris Kustodiev
- George Washington Lambert – A sergeant of the Light Horse
- Edwin Lutyens
- Paul Klee – Angelus Novus (worked copper plate)
- Stanton MacDonald-Wright – Airplane Synchromy in Yellow-Orange
- Henri Matisse – Interior at Nice
- Christopher R. W. Nevinson – The Soul of the Soulless City (originally New York – an Abstraction)
- William Nicholson
- Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin – 1918 in Petrograd (Petrograd Madonna)
- Victor Rousseau – Bronze figure group for Anglo-Belgian Memorial, London
- Charles Marie Louis Joseph Sarrabezolles – L'Âme de la France (plaster version)
- Georg Scholz – Industrial Farmers (Von der Heydt Museum, Wuppertal)
- Charles Sheeler – Church Street El
- Mario Sironi – Truck
- Stanley Spencer
- The Last Supper
- Christ Carrying the Cross
- Lorado Taft – Fountain of Time (Chicago)
- Aston Webb (architect) and Alfred Drury (sculptor) – London Troops War Memorial
January to June
- January 12 – Bill Reid, Canadian artist (d. 1998).
- January 17 – Georges Pichard, French comics artist (d. 2003).
- January 30 – Patrick Heron, English painter, writer and designer (d. 1999).
- February 22 – Rocco Borella, Italian painter (d. 1994).
- March 3 – Ronald Searle, English cartoonist (d. 2011).
- March 14 – Hank Ketcham, American cartoonist (d. 2001).
- March 27 – Robin Jacques, English illustrator (d. 1995).
- April 8 – Hans Coper, German-born studio potter (d. 1981).
- April 24 – Paul Wonner, American painter (d. 2008).
- May – Hans Josephsohn, German-born sculptor (d. 2012).
- May 8
- May 10 - Erna Viitol, Estonian sculptor (d. 2001).
- June 4 – Alejandro Obregón, Colombian painter, muralist, sculptor and engraver (d. 1992).
- June 24
- June 29 – Ray Harryhausen, American-born stop-motion animator, sculptor (d. 2013).
July to December
- July 20 – Arthur Boyd, Australian painter and sculptor (d. 1999).
- July 21 – Constant Nieuwenhuys, Dutch painter, one of the innovators of Unitary Urbanism (d. 2005).
- August 5 – George Tooker, American figurative painter (d. 2011).
- August 15 – Judy Cassab, born Judit Kaszab, Austrian-born Australian portrait painter (d. 2015).
- August 22 – Gene Davis, American painter (d. 1985).
- August 26
- October 13 – Elaine Hamilton, American painter (d. 2010).
- October 31 – Helmut Newton, German-born photographer (d. 2004).
- November 23 – Wayne Thiebaud, American painter.
- December 18 – Enrique Grau, Colombian painter and sculptor (d. 2004).
- December 21 – Bob Bindig, American illustrator (d. 2007)
Full date unknown
- Adrian Heath, Burmese-born English painter (d. 1992).
- Raymond Moore, English landscape photographer (d. 1987).
- Daniel O'Neill, Irish painter (d. 1974).
- January 24 – Amedeo Modigliani, Italian-born painter and sculptor (b. 1884)
- January 26 – Jeanne Hébuterne, French artist, Modigliani's mistress and model (suicide) (b. 1898)
- March 13 – Mary Devens, American pictorial photographer (b. 1857)
- March 15 – Edith Holden, English nature artist and art teacher (b. 1871)
- March 26 – Samuel Colman, American painter and designer (b. 1832)
- April 20 – Briton Rivière, British painter (b. 1840)
- April 27 – Jacob Ungerer, German sculptor (b. 1840)
- May 7 – Hugh Thomson, British illustrator (b. 1860)
- May 12 – Georges Petit, French art dealer (b. 1856)
- July 17 – Sir Edmund Elton, 8th Baronet, English studio potter (b. 1846)
- August 4 – C. G. Finch-Davies, British bird painter (b. 1875)
- August 6 – Edward Francis Searles, American interior designer (b. 1841)
- August 12 – Walter W. Winans, American sculptor, painter, marksman and horse-breeder (b. 1852)
- August 22 – Anders Zorn, Swedish portrait painter (b. 1860)
- September 24 – Peter Carl Fabergé, Russian-born jeweller (b. 1846)
- November 13 – Luc-Olivier Merson, French painter (b. 1846)
- date unknown – Edith Corbet, Australian-born British landscape painter (b. 1846)