|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1909 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- Discovery of the Burgess Shale Cambrian fossil site in the Canadian Rockies by palaeontologist Charles Walcott of the Smithsonian Institution.
- Excavation of Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester Roman Town) in England by the Society of Antiquaries of London completed (began in 1890)
- Excavations at Ritsona in Boeotia by Ronald Burrows and Percy and Annie Ure of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens begin (completed in 1922).
- Excavations at Villa of Mysteries at Pompeii begin.
- The National Trust purchases White Barrow on Salisbury Plain in England, its first archaeological site.
- December 10 - Robert Wauchope, American archaeologist and anthropologist (d. 1979)
- Su Bingqi, Chinese archaeologist (d. 1997)
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2015)