|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1894 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- Thomas Gann makes first scientific exploration of Xunantunich.
- Henri Lammens visits the Roman temple of Bziza.
- March 29–May 12 - Augustus Pitt Rivers excavates Wor Barrow mound.
- Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology - Harvard University project at Copan concludes.
- On Dartmoor in England, Grimspound late Bronze Age settlement is excavated and partially reconstructed and Langstone Moor stone circle is largely re-erected.
- Sir Henry Meux excavates Avebury.
- Knossos is found by Arthur Evans.
- Roman silver plate, dated to 2nd–4th century, unearthed near Yenikend, Azerbaijan.
- Roman milestones found in bed of River Petteril near Carlisle (Luguvalium) on the northern border of England.
- In the 12th Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology, Cyrus Thomas' detailed report on the Mound Builders demolishes the earlier theory that ancient mounds in the United States were built by a "lost race", and shows they were built by the ancestors of modern Native Americans.
- E. A. Wallis Budge appointed Keeper of Egyptian and Assyrian Antiquities at the British Museum.
- Ernst Förstemann deciphers the Maya numbering systems.
- February 19 - Emil Forrer, Swiss Assyriologist and Hittitologist (d. 1986)
- June 5 - Giuseppe Tucci, Italian Orientalist (d. 1984)
- November 3 - Winifred Lamb, English archaeologist (d. 1963)
- December 28 - Oscar Broneer, Swedish American archaeologist of Ancient Greece (d. 1992)
- July 5 - Austen Henry Layard, French-born British archaeologist of Iran (b. 1817)
- September 20 - Giovanni Battista de Rossi, Italian archaeologist (b. 1822)
- Thompson, M. W. (1977). General Pitt-Rivers: evolution and archaeology in the nineteenth century. Bradford-on-Avon: Moonraker Press. pp. 105–7. ISBN 0-239-00162-1.
- Haverfield, F. (1895). "On a milestone of Carausius and other recent Roman finds". Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society. 13: 437.
- "Sir Austen Henry Layard - British archaeologist". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 17 May 2017.