This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1892 in art involved some significant events.
- February – Claude Monet begins painting his Rouen Cathedral series
- c. February – Alfred Gilbert is commissioned to sculpt the tomb (with recumbent effigy) of Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence, in the Albert Memorial Chapel of St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England; although not finished until 1928 it is substantially complete in 1898 as "the finest single example of late 19th-century sculpture in the British Isles"
- March – James McNeill Whistler stages his major retrospective exhibition, Nocturnes, Marines and Chevalet pieces at Goupil & Cie's London gallery, then moves to Paris
- April 4 – Munich Secession
- May – The Brotherhood of The Linked Ring is founded by Henry Peach Robinson in England to promote photography as a fine art
- November – "The Munch Affair": Adelsteen Normann, on behalf of the Union of Berlin Artists, invites Edvard Munch to stage a one-man exhibition. However, his paintings evoke bitter controversy and after one week the exhibition is closed; Munch's paintings are moved to the Equitable Palast
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Herbert MacNair are introduced to Margaret and Frances MacDonald in Glasgow
- Il Codice Magliabechiano, a 16th century collection of brief biographies and notes on the works of Italian artists by "Anonimo Gaddiano", is first published
Works of art
- Ivan Aivazovsky – Brig "Mercury" Attacked by Two Turkish Ships
- José Ferraz de Almeida Júnior – Leitura ("Reading")
- John Henry Frederick Bacon – The Wedding Morning
- Gustave Caillebotte
- Gustaf Cederström – Magnus Stenbock in Malmö
- John Collier – Lilith
- Thomas Eakins – The Concert Singer
- James Ensor
- Man of Sorrows (Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten, Antwerp)
- The Skate
- Paul Gauguin
- J. W. Godward
- At The Garden Shrine, Pompeii
- The Betrothed
- Classical Beauty
- Far Away Thoughts (two versions)
- Leaning On The Balcony
- The Playground
- With Violets Wreathed And Robe Of Saffron Hue
- Lydia Purdy Hess – Portrait of Miss E. H.
- P. S. Krøyer – Summer Evening at Skagen. The Artist's Wife and Dog by the Shore
- Sir Frederic Leighton – The Garden of the Hesperides
- Maximilien Luce – Côte de la citadelle
- Juan Luna
- Jacek Malczewski
- Francis Davis Millet
- Albert Joseph Moore – Lightning and Light
- Edvard Munch
- The Artist's Sister, Inger
- August Stindberg
- Evening on Karl Johan
- John Singer Sargent – Mrs. Hugh Hammersley
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
- Henry Scott Tuke – Mrs Florence Humphris
- Félix Vallotton
- Édouard Vuillard – Self-Portrait
- Charles E. Barber – United States Barber coinage
- Jean-Léon Gérôme – Bellona
- Richard Henry Park – John Plankinton statue
- Jeronimo Sunol – Christopher Columbus (New York City)
- 29 February – Augusta Savage, African American sculptor (died 1962).
- 12 May – Colin Gill, English war artist, muralist and portrait painter (died 1940).
- 14 May – Marjorie Watson-Williams, English painter (died 1984).
- 30 May – Fernando Amorsolo, Filipino painter (died 1972).
- 31 May – Michel Kikoine, painter (died 1968).
- 15 July – Walter Benjamin, German philosopher, "comparatists" and art critic (died 1940).
- July 19 – Suzanne Malherbe, French illustrator and designer (died 1972).
- July 24 – Marcel Gromaire, French painter (died 1971).
- 7 August – Einar Forseth, Swedish artist.
- 16 August – Otto Messmer, American animator (died 1983).
- 11 October – Anton Räderscheidt, German painter (died 1970).
- 16 October – Adolf Ziegler, German painter and politician (died 1959).
- 23 November – Romain de Tirtoff, Russian-born French artist and designer (died 1990).
- 7 December – Stuart Davis, painter (died 1964).
- January 11 – Amanda Sidwall, Swedish painter and illustrator (born 1844)
- January 14 – Alexander Jackson Davis, American architect and illustrator (born 1803)
- January 20 – Louis Pierre Henriquel-Dupont, French engraver (born 1797)
- February 27 – Louis Vuitton, French designer (born 1821)
- March 3 – Fedor Solntsev, Russian painter and art historian (born 1801)
- March 21 – Anthon van Rappard, Dutch painter (born 1858)
- June 1 – Louis Janmot, French painter (born 1814)
- October 5 – Albert Aurier, French Symbolist poet, art critic and painter (born 1865)
- October 7 – Thomas Woolner, English sculptor and poet (born 1825)
- October 29 – William Harnett, Irish American trompe l'oeil painter (born 1848)