|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1886 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- October 4 - Augustus Pitt Rivers begins excavation of the Romano-British settlement site on Rotherley Downs.
- The well-preserved skeletons of a Neanderthal man and woman with Mousterian stone implements are found in the Betche aux Roches cavern at Spy, Belgium, by Maximin Lohest and Marcel de Puydt.
- Minaret of Jam in Afghanistan recorded by Thomas Holdich.
- June 10 - Te Wairoa is buried by a volcanic eruption.
- Thompson, M. W. (1977). General Pitt-Rivers: evolution and archaeology in the nineteenth century. Bradford-on-Avon: Moonraker Press. p. 96. ISBN 0-239-00162-1.
- "Neanderthal Man". Encyclopedia Britannica (15th ed.). 1982.
- "Aerial Photographs - O.G.S. Crawford (1886-1957)". Ashmolean Museum. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- Press, Oxford University (2012). Benezit Dictionary of British Graphic Artists and Illustrators. OUP USA. p. 615. ISBN 9780199923052.