The following lists events that happened during 1871 in New Zealand.
Regal and viceregal
Government and law
1 February – Māori elections are held for the first time in conjunction with a general election, although the first Māori MPs had been elected in 1868.
- Speaker of the House – After the election Sir Francis Dillon Bell becomes Speaker replacing Sir David Monro who stood down at the end of 1870.
- Premier – William Fox
- Minister of Finance – Julius Vogel
- Chief Justice – Hon Sir George Arney
Main centre leaders
- Mayor of Auckland – Philip Philips
- Mayor of Christchurch – Andrew Duncan followed by James Jameson
- Mayor of Dunedin – Thomas Birch followed by Henry Fish
- Mayor of Wellington – Joseph Dransfield
- 1 February: The Daily Telegraph begins publishing in Napier. It continues until 1999, when it merges with The Hawke's Bay Herald Tribune to form Hawke's Bay Today.
- 5 July: New Zealand's first university, Otago opens its doors. It was absorbed into the University of New Zealand three years later.
- The Westport News begins publication. The newspaper continues to publish Monday-Friday.
Major race winners
- New Zealand Cup: Peeress
- New Zealand Derby: Defamation
- 12 May: Founding of the Wellington Rugby club, the second rugby union club in New Zealand.
Ballinger Belt: Captain Wales (Otago)
- 10 January: Hoeroa Tiopira, rugby union player
- 10 March (in Europe): George William von Zedlitz, professor of languages
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- History of New Zealand
- List of years in New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Romanos, J. (2001) New Zealand Sporting Records and Lists. Auckland: Hodder Moa Beckett. ISBN 1-86958-879-7
- "Local Newspapers". Hastings District Libraries. Archived from the original on 15 October 2008. Retrieved 21 June 2008.
- Otago University opening date
- "The News". Westport News. Archived from the original on 14 October 2008. Retrieved 21 September 2008.
- Heidenstrom, P. (1992) Athletes of the Century. Wellington: GP Publications ISBN 1-86956-044-2
- "RUGBY UNION FOOTBALL". from An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand, edited by A. H. McLintock, originally published in 1966. Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Archived from the original on 20 February 2009. Retrieved 9 February 2009.
Media related to 1871 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons