Events from the year 1723 in art.
- Following Sir Godfrey Kneller's death, the Irish-born Charles Jervas succeeds him as Principal Portrait Painter to King George I of Great Britain.
- Scottish-born painter William Aikman settles in London as a portraitist under the patronage of John Campbell, Duke of Argyll.
- Sculptor Mario Diamanti begins work on the monumental façade of St. Sebastian, Palazzolo Acreide, Sicily.
- William Aikman – Portrait of Lady Anne Cochrane
- Canaletto – Architectural Capriccio (his first known signed and dated work)
- Thomas Gibson – Portrait of George Vertue
- Jean Ranc – The Family of Philip V
- Christian Friedrich Zincke – Catherine Edwin (miniature)
- February 3 – Catherine Read, Scottish portrait-painter (died 1778)
- April 12 – Franz Anton Bustelli, porcelain modeller (died 1763)
- May 6 – Ike no Taiga, Japanese painter and calligrapher (died 1776)
- July 2 - Václav Bernard Ambrosi, Czech miniature painter (died 1806)
- July 16 – Joshua Reynolds, English painter, specializing in portraits (died 1792)
- October 17 – Pierre-Antoine Baudouin, French miniature painter and engraver (died 1769)
- October 23 - Pierre-François Basan, French engraver (died 1797)
- November 14 – Johann Ludwig Aberli, Swiss landscape painter and etcher (died 1786)
- date unknown
- Giorgio Anselmi, Italian painter (died 1797)
- Johann Karl Auerbach, Austrian painter (died 1786)
- William Baillie, Irish engraver (died 1792)
- Maria Carowsky, Swedish artist (died 1793)
- Giovanni Battista Chiappe, Italian painter (died 1765)
- Gavin Hamilton, Scottish neoclassical history painter (died 1798)
- Giacomo Leonardis, Italian engraver and etcher (died 1794)
- Domenico Quaglio the Elder, Italian painter (died 1760)
- Antonio González Velázquez, Spanish late-Baroque painter (died 1793)
- February 11 - Heinrich Meyring, German sculptor (born 1628)
- March – Lancelot Volders, Flemish painter (buried in Brussels on 23 March; born 1636)
- October 19 – Sir Godfrey Kneller, English court painter (born 1646)
- December 6 – Amalia Pachelbel, German painter and engraver (born 1688)
- date unknown
- "Aikman, William". ElectricScotland. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- Kelchtermans, Leen (2013). "Brussel - Leeuwarden: nieuwe gegevens over de Brusselse schilders Lancelot en Louis Volders". In Kelchtermans, L.; Van der Stighelen, K.; Brosens, K. (eds.). Embracing Brussels. Art and Culture in the Court City, 1600-1800. Turnhout: Brepols Publishers. pp. 213–238. ISBN 978-2-503-54228-7. (in Dutch)
- Bryan, Michael (1889). Walter Armstrong & Robert Edmund Graves (ed.). Dictionary of Painters and Engravers, Biographical and Critical (Volume II L-Z). York St. #4, Covent Garden, London; Original from Fogg Library, Digitized May 18, 2007: George Bell and Sons. p. 67.CS1 maint: location (link)