- René Antoine Ferchault de Réaumur publishes his work on metallurgy, L'Arte de convertir le fer forge en acier, which describes how to convert iron into steel.
- Willem 's Gravesande publishes experimental proof that the formula for kinetic energy of a body in motion is .
- October – In clockmaking, George Graham demonstrates that his experiments, begun in December 1721, with mercurial compensation of the pendulum result in greater accuracy in timekeeping under conditions of variable temperature.
- May 11 – Petrus Camper, Dutch comparative anatomist (died 1789)
- November 19 – Leopold Auenbrugger, Austrian physician (died 1809)
- Thomas Barker, English meteorologist (died 1809)
- December 28 – Eliza Lucas, American agronomist (died 1793)
- Britten, F. J. (1894). Former Clock & Watchmakers and their Work. London: E. & F.N. Spon. pp. 89–97.