The year 1628 in music involved some significant events.
- November 22 – Girolamo Frescobaldi is given permission by St Peter's Basilica to leave Rome.
- Heinrich Schütz returns to Venice to visit Monteverdi and Alessandro Grandi.
- Nicholas Lanier's musical setting of Christopher Marlowe's Hero and Leander, performed in this year, may have been a precursor of English opera. ("May have been," because Lanier's music for the poem has not survived.)
Published popular music
- Carlo Farina
- Il quarto libro delle pavane, gagliarde, balletti, volte, passamezi, sonate, canzon
- Fünffter Theil newer Pavanen, Brand: Mascharaden, Balletten, Sonaten
- Francesca Caccini – La liberazione di Ruggiero dall'isola d'Alcina
- Claudio Monteverdi – Il Ballo delle Ingrate
- January 1 – Christoph Bernhard, German composer (died 1692)
- date unknown – Robert Cambert, French composer of opera (died 1677)
- January 21 – Gregor Aichinger, composer (born c.1565)
- March – Alfonso Ferrabosco the younger, viol player and composer (born c.1575)
- March 12 or 13 – John Bull (composer), composer and organist (born c1562)
- November 16 – Paolo Quagliati, composer (born c. 1555)
- date unknown – Aziz Mahmud Hudayi, Sufi saint, poet, author and composer (born 1541)