|List of years in literature (Table)|
|Related time period or subjects|
This article presents lists of the literary events and publications in 1550.
- July 17 – King Edward VI of England gives Humphrey Powell a grant to start printing in Ireland.
- Robert Estienne sets up a printing press in Geneva.
- The first book in Slovene, Catechismus, is written by Protestant reformer Primož Trubar and printed in Schwäbisch Hall, Holy Roman Empire, followed by his Abecedarium.
- Nostradamus' first almanac is written.
- Leandro Alberti – Istoria di Bologna
- Martin Bucer – De regno Christi
- Thomas Cranmer – Defence of the True and Catholic Doctrine of the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ
- Doddayya – Chandraprabha Purana
- Louis Maigret – Traité de la Grammaire française (the first grammatical description of French)
- Ramamatya – Svaramelakalanidhi (treatise on music)
- Richard Sherry – A Treatise of Schemes and Tropes
- Primož Trubar
- The Facetious Nights of Straparola (the first European storybook of fairy tales)
- Giorgio Vasari – Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects
- Rosary of the Philosophers
- See 1550 in poetry
- Wacker von Wackenfels, German diplomat, scholar and author (died 1619)
- Zang Maoxun, Chinese playwright (died 1620)
- Probable year of birth – Philip Henslowe, Elizabethan theatrical entrepreneur and impresario (died 1616)
- February – Marcantonio Flaminio, Latin-language poet (born c. 1498)
- December 8 – Gian Giorgio Trissino, Italian poet, dramatist and grammarian (born 1478)
- William Lamb alias Paniter, Scottish writer, cleric and lawyer (born c. 1493)